Great work Scott!

Story: Linux and The Indianapolis 500Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

May 07, 2007
10:19 PM EDT
Quoting:what I have done in response is to contact all of the vendors in our The Pre-Installed Linux Vendor Database and ask them for their help in sponsoring the Tux500 car.

Wow. That's a *lot* of work. Thanks. May I ask how many have responded back to you?
Scott_Ruecker

May 07, 2007
11:12 PM EDT
Thank You Sander,

So far, about a half dozen. But its only been a day or so since I sent them all out. So I know there will be more..

schestowitz

May 08, 2007
2:39 AM EDT
+1.

Thanks indeed, Scott. Keep up the great work.
VincentCorleone

May 08, 2007
4:59 AM EDT
Hey Scott,

you should be better a Ghostwriter or Press speaker for Helios.

Your intense of Words could raise the funds a little bit higher.

Maybe you will work at the next project together. :)

Nice article.

Vince
dcparris

May 08, 2007
6:43 AM EDT
Vince, that's a nice thought. I agree that Scott would serve well in that role. Here's where my "but" comes into play:

Unfortunately, we as journalists have to concern ourselves with conflicts of interest. As an auditor, I am in a position of privileged acccess, and cannot therefore involve myself in the story - not even (dis)approve those submitted about Tux500. It doesn't matter that I'm not actually involved in the campaign. If Scott were to take on the role of spokesman for the Tux500 campaign, he would not be able to write an op/ed piece like this for LXer. He could write all he wants, just not as one of our editors. We have to have at least one editor around here who can review and post Tux500 stories. Mind you, Scott could still be an editor, but would have to abstain from reporting on, or posting, stories about the campaign.

Although LXer is a community news site, we press for high standards of journalistic conduct. Without adhering to well-established principles, we would lose our integrity. Our integrity, as much as anything else, is what has helped us grow. At least, that's what I gather from all the feedback we've had from our registered readers.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but some in our audience may not understand journalism ethics very well.
Scott_Ruecker

May 08, 2007
6:53 AM EDT
Don is absolutely right, as a ghostwriter I could write about it all I want, just not for LXer.

Ethics matter because essentially its all we have..

Besides, I have a funny feeling that people would still know its me anyway. :-)

jdixon

May 08, 2007
8:00 AM EDT
> Our integrity, as much as anything else, is what has helped us grow.

Yep.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!