Debian & Java

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dcparris

May 09, 2007
8:40 AM EDT
Now that Sun's Java is GPL'ed (or is that still in progress?), I don't mind installing it. I have the FSF's GCJ (or whatever) to use with OpenOffice.org, but I have not installed anything else related to Java. I just checked the Debian-Java-FAQ, and it's a little dated - no mention at all of Etch. In Synaptic, I see numerous Java packages, including java-common, but thought the main Java stuff I used to use was something JRE, or something like that. The initial tutorials I've seen for Etch send you to Sun's website.

Any idea when Java will become available in Debian as a regular package? Should I follow the tutorials? Should I just run while I still have the chance?

Thanks, Don
jimf

May 09, 2007
9:59 AM EDT
> Any idea when Java will become available in Debian as a regular package?

It's in testing right now. I suspect there's a backport, or will be momentarily for etch.

> Should I just run while I still have the chance?

Could be :D

I have jave turned on for the browser, and, it's using the sun one, but as far as programming with it???
jezuch

May 09, 2007
1:22 PM EDT
Quoting:It's in testing right now.

But still in non-free.

Yes, the [almost] fully open-source Java was apparently announced at JavaOne very recently. Remember that Debian is not very fast with packaging new and cool stuff - they're very careful and even a minor glitch can be a show-stopper for them. I suppose they'll launch a full license audit to triple-check it's really OK with DFSG and all...
number6x

May 09, 2007
1:57 PM EDT
A fully open source Java may take a while. Some of the features in Java are based on code not owned by Sun. I think a big chunk of the SVG support libraries is Kodak, and there is some sound code that Sun doesn't own. There is probably more as well.

This will be like when Sun stripped out the proprietary parts of Star Office that they didn't own. It took a while to get Open Office up and running.

With the api's well defined (something Sun is pretty good at) it shouldn't take to long to replace the missing parts with existing FOSS code.

Sun is a commercial company, but their roots are in FOSS (BSD). They seem to always come around in the end.

You cannot post until you login.