Status update: Debianites vs. 'Buntuans

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
NoDough

May 09, 2007
12:04 PM EDT
As promised: ;D

OK, you raving pack of Debianites; first the good news.

Debian is gaining ground and, at this pace, may overtake Kubuntu in the battle of the distros.

Now the bad news.

Ubuntu is kicking your collective behinds. The 'buntuans combined have now out-contributed the Debianites by over 5 to 1. OVER 500%!

[whining]"But there's moooore of them than uuuuuus."[/whining]

Stop your silly whining soldier! This ain't no day care! Getcher butts in gear and getcher debianite brigades mobilized! Hut - hut - hut!

http://tux500.com/stats.php
Sander_Marechal

May 09, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
What's much more interesting is that Debian + derivatives far outshadows any other lineage.
jdixon

May 09, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
> What's much more interesting is that Debian + derivatives far outshadows any other lineage.

Well, as best I can gauge it, there are really only four Linux lines. Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, and source based (best represented by Gentoo). There are probably some distributions not based on one of those lines, but I'd bet they cover 98% of them.
Sander_Marechal

May 09, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
Interesting also to see that the thing that really separates the lines is pretty much just the packaging format (tgz, deb, rpm, source ports). Anything else that distinguishes one distro from other ones can be found across all lines.
vainrveenr

May 09, 2007
5:41 PM EDT
Quoting:Debian is gaining ground and, at this pace, may overtake Kubuntu in the battle of the distros.
Actually as far as access and purported usage, the DistroWatch Hits Per Day for the last 30 days shows Debian well ahead of Kubuntu :)

From http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

1 Ubuntu 3603< 2 PCLinuxOS 2553> 3 openSUSE 1545< 4 Debian 1362< 5 Fedora 1335< 6 Mandriva 1038< 7 Mint 991> 8 Sabayon 959< 9 MEPIS 943< 10 CentOS 723< 11 Kubuntu 690= 12 Gentoo 670
helios

May 09, 2007
6:12 PM EDT
Now here is where I piss off a whole bunch of people. It was mentioned that in the tux500 donations, the Ubuntu-ites were way ahead in donations - one person has contributed about 70 percent of the Ubuntu total. Go axe Bob if'in you dun belieb me.

then agan, he could be collecting it, putting it into an account and feeding it into paypal...he could be...

And no, that's no big secret...it was discussed on the boards the other night.

(helios runs for the airport...boise is beautiful this time of...)
Sander_Marechal

May 09, 2007
10:15 PM EDT
Quoting:one person has contributed about 70 percent of the Ubuntu total.

Wow, that's a very generous donation. I wonder who it is. Recalling earlier discussions it's not Marc Shuttleworth.
helios

May 10, 2007
3:31 AM EDT
Not by name...someone by the name of colin...

I just found it amusing that this "massive buntu community" would allow one person to do it. Here...just subtract seventy percent of the total and then add back a few quid just to bring him back into the equation. That is a fair representation of the Ubuntu Community Powerhouse, lol

Still, I am extremely grateful to blanked out there are many who owe him profuse and consistant thanks.

h

and who knows..."blanked out" just might be shuttleworth. The last time I checked "blanked out" had dumped 2400 bucks US into Ubuntu's kitty. Not from South Africa though...you would think if it was M Shuttleworth...
Sander_Marechal

May 10, 2007
7:12 AM EDT
Perhaps you should edit your post Helios. Perhaps the guy likes to stay anonymous.
helios

May 10, 2007
9:19 AM EDT
Done...it is posted elsewhere and not by me or bob...but your advice is sound.

h
bigg

May 10, 2007
9:29 AM EDT
Except you forgot the first line.

You cannot post until you login.