Books & Hacks

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
srtraveler

May 12, 2007
3:39 AM EDT
I just read a positive review and endorsement of Hacking Ubuntu: Serious Hacks, Mods and Customizations, by Neal Krawetz and thought that I would give it a try. I'm enjoying everything about my Ubuntu desktop. I just moved up to V.7, painlessly though I let my computer download everything overnight. Closer reading of the blurb on this book is without reservations but the author has chosen to go with Dapper as it is an LTS version. Question: will my ~$20 be wasted as I try to apply the hacks/tricks/modifications to my V.7? I thought there were good reasons for this upgrade and would not want to go back unless someone could convince me that would be a good idea.

This also raises the question: should the average home user only use and upgrade versions when they are of the LTS species?
theboomboomcars

May 14, 2007
7:09 AM EDT
Most of what is in the book will work with the newer version. Though some may not be applicable any more because of the improvements done with the updated version.

The LTS is designed more for large deployments that need a stable system that doesn't change much overtime. For your personal computer it is probably better to keep with the current stuff. Though you may want to wait a bit and check the ubuntu forums to make sure there hasn't been any severe breakage. A couple of days is usually good to see the out come a new update.

The advantage of the LTS is that is the same and will be for 3 years, whereas the regular releases are only supported for 18 months.

The advantage of the regular releases is that you get more current versions of software. Which means better hardware support, more bug fixes(usually), the most recent versions of OO.o and firefox, etc.

You cannot post until you login.