good idea

Story: Clever IT use slashes carbon dioxide outputTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

May 14, 2007
7:04 AM EDT
A lot of PCs don't need to be on all the time, so why leave them running? when you're done for the day, shut it down.
vainrveenr

May 14, 2007
7:40 AM EDT
> so why leave them running?

A surprisingly large number of people partially revolve their LIVES around online activities, thus requiring (in their minds at least) to have their computers on 24/7. A few of these person-types come to mind: - those performing more extensive uploads and downloads overnight when overall online activity is believed to be much less active - those requiring CONSTANT updates for stock tickers or key news items - those requiring after-hours online technical support from personnel located halfway around the world (here in the U.S., this could very well be outsourced support from India) Probably there are a few other types as well, who truly believe that they require this 24/7 energy-wastage :( Definitely not saying that this is praiseworthy; it is NOT. Just a fact of life for such persons.

One related issue is the speed necessary to get online and off for those who prefer not using Wake-On/Wake-Off features . 1. You have to power on your computer and have it go through its POST. 2. You have to load an OS and have it bring up its shell and/or UI, along with network activation. 3. You have to start the online action you need to accomplish, whether it be ftp, http, email app, .... When finished, 4. You have to stop the online activity. 5. You have to perform a Shutdown, shutting down services such as the computer's network connection and then turning off its power.

This all takes a bit of time and extra electricity, even with the latest HW, OS kernel, and power saver features. This process is just not as quick as turning on/off a lightbulb, a radio, or a TV, regardless of the computer-power streamlining that continues to occur.

Scott_Ruecker

May 14, 2007
7:54 AM EDT
I'll be honest, I have done nothing but restart my computer for years.. its always on, but then my last electric bill was $48.

I think I can live with the extra cost.
Sander_Marechal

May 14, 2007
8:40 AM EDT
Hehehe. I always turn my computer off when I intend to leave it for more than an hour. Despite that, when the meter man came by last week he told us that last year we (my girlfriend and I) used more power just in the peak tarrif (mo-vr 06:00-21:00) than a family with 2 kids in high and low tarrif combined!

Must be that 2x450 Watt ProLiant I keep running 24/7.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!