Where is the database?

Story: LXer 'classics': 101 patents Microsoft may infringeTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

May 15, 2007
4:12 PM EDT
I wasn't here back in 2005. What has happened to the database? I don't see a link to it in the menu.
dcparris

May 15, 2007
5:26 PM EDT
I'll be darned. I didn't even know we had such an animal. But I found it here: http://lxer.com/module/db/viewby.php?dbn=13&uid=115
Sander_Marechal

May 16, 2007
7:38 AM EDT
Nice. Perhaps it should be added (back?) to the red top menu bar?
hkwint

May 16, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
Well, it used to be in the red bar (2005 till the first half of 2006 possibly), but after the 'EU patent war' seemed to have come to an end (in reality, it still goes on behind the scenes), I asked Dave to delete it from the top row.

Since less than thousand people have read the story, I think people aren't that interested, but I liked to provide it again anyway.
hkwint

May 16, 2007
9:04 AM EDT
Sander, seems you were right, the link to the actual database was gone, but the link is back in the article now. Thanks for letting me know.

Quoting:I didn't even know we had such an animal.

Probably the db is not that famous because I'm not named S.Ballmer. Nonetheless, I spent more than a month (when I was very ill) on it, and really read parts - at least all summaries - of _all_ those patents in the db. Phew, that was a tough job (mainly because of the formal language, and English words not familiar to me), but it gave me a good understanding about software patents. I encourage anyone who wants to know a tiny bit more about software patents to read at least one of those patents, it is very educational and probably won't cost more than half an hour.
ABCC

May 16, 2007
9:49 AM EDT

I don't think I posted a comment about it at the time, but better late than never. Thanks for your reporting on the EU patent affair hkwint, over the years I've come to appreciate the articles you've written and the information you've bee able to dig up.
SFN

May 16, 2007
10:20 AM EDT
Quick. Somebody register some short, catchy URL that would draw people to this database and connect the db and the URL. msbreaksthelaw.com or some such thing. Then start selling t-shirts on Cafe Press with the URL on the front.

I would but I'm lazier than the rest of you.
jdixon

May 16, 2007
11:38 AM EDT
> I would but I'm lazier than the rest of you.

I could be persuaded to place a small wager on that, if it didn't involve any effort of course. :)
SFN

May 16, 2007
11:52 AM EDT
Quoting:I could be persuaded to place a small wager on that, if it didn't involve any effort of course. :)
Money is heavy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!