Borrowing a page from RMS...

Story: Why Is Dell Hiding Their Ubuntu Boxes?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
dinotrac

May 25, 2007
9:39 AM EDT
Didya notice their banner refers to Ubuntu as a Linux-based operating system?

That would seem to fit right into the RMS mantra -- Linux is just the kernel!

OK, there's the little matter of no mention for GNU, but maybe Dell is readying DIG/Linux, ie, Dell Isn't GNU.
tuxchick

May 25, 2007
9:44 AM EDT
dino, in all the many threads on this I lost track- do you favor Linux, GNU/Linux, or not care?

Heh, I could go for DIG/Linux. :)
dinotrac

May 25, 2007
9:46 AM EDT
I don't really care, but I use Linux because it's easier to say and most people recognize it.

Besides, in my view, if I'm going to credit them both, it would be Linux with GNU tools, not GNU/Linux.
freethinker

May 25, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
Warning! Silly comment alert! Warning! Or, to give full credit for what constitutes a Linux distribution, you might actually want to call it GNU/Apache/Sendmail/KDE/ISC/Venema/Trolltech/Mozilla/OpenOffice.org/etc/etc/Linux . Yeah, dino is right. Calling it Linux is a lot easier and less confusing for most people.
Aladdin_Sane

May 25, 2007
6:50 PM EDT
The formal name vs. the common name.

Some cats are named Her Most Holy Highness Princess of Persia and All Her Surroundings Including The Domain Of The Domicile Roof and Her Cat Dish and Defender of the Faith.

But we call her "Princess" for short.
hkwint

May 26, 2007
3:10 AM EDT
Dino: DIG/Linux, huh? Be aware of asking people to DIG-storm Linux. It's against the ToS.

Oh, wait, I'm confused. DIGG Eeuhh Ain't DIG (DEAD).
dinotrac

May 26, 2007
3:54 AM EDT
Hans -

Gently pry your fingers from the keyboard. Take a deep breath. Drink a beer.

Go to sleep and don't set the alarm.

Dream of happy things.

All will be better in the morning.
Sander_Marechal

May 26, 2007
3:57 PM EDT
I usually call it whatever the distro maintainers call it. Whatever they call it is the official name.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!