the command line

Story: Five Tired Old Myths About GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Lindsay

May 25, 2007
11:06 PM EDT
No - No - No, the CLI is important! This is the easiest way to integrate programs. Never, never pretend it's a minor thing - it is the way of the future.

OK, now I'll explain, the various BASIC-type programming languages (Ruby, TK, Perl (ugh) ) all have easy command line methods to execute a program as a function. Gee - simple integration. I understand about 10 programming languages and don't use them; instead I just (simply) "integrate" using one of the BASIC-type languages against an existing program's CLI.

This is the way grasshopper! So please do not denigrate the CLI - CLI with a BASIC-type language is the greatest advance with programming since sliced bread. Yes, Windows also uses CLI - they aren't stupid.

Uh, Ruby Rocks!

By the way, my Kodak camera didn't work "out of the box" - I had to turn it on and THEN plug in the USB cable (both in Linux and Windows) - not very impressive Kodak guys. Naturally Linux was blamed on the web - yeah, another device that "doesn't work under Linux".
tracyanne

May 25, 2007
11:25 PM EDT
Quoting:yeah, another device that "doesn't work under Linux".

I kept my Kodak Easyshare on top, and it worked just fine.
dcparris

May 26, 2007
7:02 AM EDT
It's funny - I still have nightmares about DOS, even though I regularly use Bash. Go figure.

Lindsay: I suggest following traceyanne's advice - keep the camera on top. I'm not sure if trying to use it under Linux is problematic due to some bug in the software, or if weight of the computer has something to do with it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!