buying - preinstalled Linux

Story: Review: System 76 Darter laptopTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
numbers

May 26, 2007
8:13 PM EDT
I placed my order late last Monday with System76 for a Serval laptop. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

I had been thinking about a laptop for several months. i had looked through the LXer database and compared a few vendors who preinstall and support Linux. I did some more research and saw some reviews of System76. I have gravitated towards them the past month or so.

I maxed out on most of the options instead of going totally cheap on the hardware. i also bought the 3 year support. Yes I am probably paying more for a Dell laptop (even a Dell with Ubuntu) or even one I could get locally (with 'wonkers' installed). Perhaps I am capable of installing Linux on a laptop but I didn't want to have to do that.

It's sort of a continuation of the last pc I bought. I think 3-4 years ago, I got an HP with matching 17" LCD, keyboard, mouse, speaker. Of course I installed Linux after the second bootup. I at least looked at XP and did my backup discs. I bought and assembled my pc before that. The two pc's before that I bought prebuilt locally.

My first pc was a Radio Shack laptop - 386SX20 with 1Mb of RAM , maxed it out to 4Mb, monochrome display about 12in, Windows 3.1. Norton Desktop made it usable. I think the HD was at most 200Mb. I remember reformatting and reinstalling Windows a few times - I think just for the heck of it. I'm not sure now, that was about 17 years ago. Guess I'm just a psudo-geek.

I have Ubuntu on my HP desktop right now (sorry, TC :) ) but I will probably put Etch on the new laptop. I might play around with Ubuntu for a bit though. I am attracted to the Debian upgrading the distro without having to reinstall. I had been through that type of scenario with Suse and Mandrake before. You could upgrade without reinstalling but they didn't guarantee it would work totally. I think they almost recommended reinstalling.

The father-in-law got a new laptop about a month ago (actually the mother0in-law wanted it) but it has Visa on it. I tried the 3D task switcher. I was thinking "is that it?" That's what the fuss is about. Mind you, you I haven't played with all the geewhiz 3D stuff in Linux but I was sure it could do more with less hardware. I just saw a Beryl v.s. Vista clip on Youtube tonight. I must say, it blew the doors off Vista. Now I did enjoy the 2 min. Vista install though....

Well, enough of my rambling, for now. Here's hoping I get the new laptop before next weekend. Woohoo.

Sander_Marechal

May 27, 2007
3:21 AM EDT
When you get it, write up a nice review and consider posting it to the queue by using the "Submit Story" link above :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!