This lady's done her research.

Story: Filesystem Encryption Tools for LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
tqk

May 29, 2007
5:59 PM EDT
Good story. Well written, well researched, chock full of good advice. She toes the Bruce Schneier party line.

"My theory is vendors are not interested in anything that gives control to the user; they want big fat expensive centrally-controlled systems, which is not an attractive proposition to most folks."

Aka., "Active Directory" / LDAP. Oh yeah! Those things work great! :-P

Okay, there's something to be said for LDAP, but have you ever met anyone doing AD correctly, in a *usable* configuration? I haven't.

I don't much approve of randomized sshd ports, despite the fact it (generally speaking) helps. Better question is, do you actually need sshd running? If not, turn it off. I have no need to get at my home box from work. Why would you? Do you really think the typical doofus MCSE coporate admin is going to respect your privacy? Think keystroke loggers, CCTV, "Corporate owned systems ... You have no right to privacy while using OUR equipment."

Thanks. Worth logging in to post a review. :-) Not wizardly "rocket science" stuff, but good common sense advice. Write your pwords on a sticky note, and put it in your wallet. When you lose it, you know it's time to change pwords (assuming you can still login). Maybe a backup (paper copy) of the sticky note stored in a book @home and @work would be a good thing too. That's another "security through obscurity" angle. Which book is it in? Which sticky note in which book describes valid, current paswords? Go ahead, fibbies, try them all. Heh, heh, heh. :-)

BTW, Schneier is also hawking a free tool called PasswordSafe; free, "Open Source", available for many OS flavours, yada yada.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!