Direct download

Story: Eben Moglen: GPLv3 not about MS and NovellTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Libervis

May 30, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
While I appreciate that Linux.com offers an ogg stream it isn't doing much good for us who don't have a decent enough connection to do direct streaming of videos and Linux.com seems to be using this "blob.pl" script which effectively obfuscates the actual location of the video file leaving no other choice but to stream directly.

Why are they afraid of offering a direct download so I can download and then watch it properly? RedHat site has videos and they offer a direct ogg download. Why can't Linux.com?

This is even worse than YouTube. At least I can get YouTube videos using youtube-dl script or KeepVid.com, but I've got no such option with Linux.com. :

Am I alone with this issue? Is really everyone in the world buzzing on 1Mbit connections or something? Oh lucky you. Damn I hate when sites just assume everyone has incredibly fast connections. It makes us who aren't so lucky feel like we don't exist.
Sander_Marechal

May 30, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Am I alone with this issue?

Yup ;-)

Linux.com uses the blob.pl for *any* binary data. Just right click on the video in the article. Hit "save link as" and name the file something.ogg. It will download at the maximum rate (not the rate at which the video plays) and save like any normal file.
Libervis

May 30, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
Oh darn it I knew there had to be some trick. Thanks a lot man. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!