perfectly acceptable

Story: Microsoft Gets Novell Linux Code Ahead Of Open Source CommunityTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
helios

May 31, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
Oh you bet. This isn't such a big deal...I mean, how is THIS hurting the Linux Community? Nothing to get upset about...tempest in a teapot, right? This in no way indicates that the Novell...uh, let's see, what am I calling this today..., uh; the Novell...deal. OK, the Novell Deal. How is this an indicator that Novell caused any harm to the Linux Community via their agreement with MS?

Guess I've been wrong all along. The Novell Deal did nothing but improve the overall situation between GNU/Linux and MS. Glad to see Novell has our back on this. I'm just glad Novell didn't have access to the Crown Jewels of England. By now they would have been gracing Melinda's Dresser in the master bedroom.
Sander_Marechal

May 31, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
Helios, did you forget your sarcasm tags? I can't tell.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with this. So MS gets some interface specifications to a bunch of proprietary apps that Novell runs on Suse. So what? Yeah, it would be nice if Novell were to open source their proprietry apps, but they don't and that's their choice. All that means is that at some point in the (not too far) future they will be out-innovated by the FOSS community.
kozmcrae

May 31, 2007
5:17 PM EDT
I don't think anybody ever lost a war by overestimating their enemy. I may be that time will prove some of us overly cautious. Personally, I will not let my guard down until the the major threats to Linux and Open Source are dead and buried.
Aladdin_Sane

May 31, 2007
5:24 PM EDT
"The Whimper of Whipped Dogs"

>>the major threats to Linux and Open Source are dead and buried.

I'd like to see MS as a 1% share of its market. To me, that would be better than dead and buried.

Then I could laugh aloud, instead of just internally, when some one came to me with an MS problem.

It is the internal laughing and crying that causes all the sarcasm, you see.
dinotrac

May 31, 2007
6:35 PM EDT
>I mean, how is THIS hurting the Linux Community?

Seriously, though, how is it hurting?
helios

Jun 01, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
I am not the only one with a wary eye toward this Dino. If I was the only one with a soapbox and a corner staked out decrying the evils of MS and this deal, it would be different. And for the record, I have found it difficult to maintain my stance that Novell actually DID anything evil. I simply believe now that they were doing what they thought was best for their stockholders. Some would argue that in itself is evil. I am too entrenched in the capitalist way to think such foolishness. I do however believe that Novell actually thought they were doing something to aid the community. It's hard to believe that someone at the top didn't see this outrage coming...I still struggle with that part of the reconciliation.

To answer your question...it just sows more seeds of discontent and mistrust within the community. True my voice in the matter may not have helped much, but I stated it as I saw it. This community is fragmented enough without Novell doing something this dumb. True, the actual act isn't overtly harmful, but the idea of it is rubbing tens of thousands of Linux users the wrong way. Instead of regaining the trust of the community, they have further mired themselves in distrust. Just google the issue. It is astounding the anger this particular "move" of Novell has brought to the surface.

You may not consider that harmful, but as one who is working to bring us together to market "Linux" it sure hasn't made hearing the call any easier.
dinotrac

Jun 01, 2007
11:13 AM EDT
>it just sows more seeds of discontent and mistrust within the community

I'm beginning to think that the worst thing a company can do is get overly concerned with keeping the community happy.

It really can't be done for extended periods.

God help you if you make a mistake because your "friends" in the community will make your enemies look like all right guys.
helios

Jun 01, 2007
11:34 AM EDT
get overly concerned with keeping the community happy....

LOL, yes sir, but why not shoot for NOT pissing them off to the nth degree?

God help you if you make a mistake because your "friends" in the community will make your enemies look like all right guys.

Now C'mon Dino...that's not fair. I can only think of 1256 instances of that happening in the last 2 months. You really think it's fair to pull THAT out? boy howdy, talk about nit picking...LOL

good point.

dinotrac

Jun 01, 2007
1:17 PM EDT
> I can only think of 1256 instances of that happening in the last 2 months.

You were kind of busy with tux500. You didn't have time to keep track of them all!

;0)
jdixon

Jun 01, 2007
5:15 PM EDT
> It's hard to believe that someone at the top didn't see this outrage coming...I still struggle with that part of the reconciliation.

The Novell CEO was new to the job, and the patent deal was a last minute add on by Microsoft (deliberately, I'm quite certain). He probably had no idea what he was getting Novell into.

That doesn't explain why they haven't taken steps to alleviate matters, unless he still doesn't understand exactly why people are upset (which is possible).
NoDough

Jun 01, 2007
8:14 PM EDT
Here's what I don't understand...

Novell is a Linux distributor. Novell signs an agreement with MS. The community thinks Novell is our enemy.

Dell is now a Linux distributor. Dell signs an agreement with MS. The community thinks Dell is our friend.

Explain that one for me.

Me personally: I think Novell is attempting to do business in this market the best way they know how. I really don't have a problem with that. Furthermore, if I did have a problem with that, the effect on Novell would be negligible. So, why should they care?
tracyanne

Jun 01, 2007
11:21 PM EDT
@NoDough very good point.
dinotrac

Jun 02, 2007
1:19 AM EDT
Nodough -

No kidding.

The FOSS community should be renamed to Prozac Nation, or, at the very least, Kentucky Fried Chicken Little.

The whole Novell thing utterly perplexes me. Novell has contributed noticeably to FOSS. Novell has good corporate reasons to support FOSS. Over the years, Novell has fought Microsoft tooth and nail. In trouble as a company, Novell has done what Apple did before it: made a deal with Microsoft.

Dell has been tight with Microsoft for years, a relationship that has created more practical problems for FOSS than a hundred Novell deals. Now Dell offers a few desktops with Linux. We like them now.

Sheesh.

We're not too bad at being wary of enemies and strangers who offer us candy. We've really got to learn how to deal with friends who disappoint us.
cjcox

Jun 02, 2007
12:09 PM EDT
Mr. Moglen (and perhaps the whole FSF) opinion is that the only enemy here is Novell... NOT Microsoft. So perhaps if we refocus attentions on getting rid of the evil Novell, the world will just magically become a better place. Whatever we do, we need to make sure we don't focus on solving real world problems through FOSS.

:)

To put it into terms everyone here can understand:

1. We need to know exactly that we want to destroy Novell.

2. We need to know exactly how we are going to go about doing it.

dinotrac

Jun 02, 2007
12:15 PM EDT
cj -

Yeah, and while we're at it, maybe we can buy a few Microsoft products to help shelter them from the fallout from having to deal with such a nefarious outfit!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!