Mencoder Weirdness

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
techiem2

Jun 02, 2007
4:31 PM EDT
Ok, here's a challenge for ya. At some point mencoder decided to partly stop working. I don't when as I don't record stuff that often.

Here's the deal:

Gentoo/64 Currently 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 kernel Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Deluxe card

I have two sets of scripts for recording. 1 set for recording from TV in, 1 set for recording from composite in. Other than the input source, the sets are essentially identical. (There's 3 scripts in each set for different resolution/encoding type options)

So at some point in the past few months, mencoder stopped recording from composite in. I realized it when I tried to record that way a couple weeks ago.

It still works fine recording from tv in.

Trying to record from composite causes it to exit immediately as though it has finished recording, with the following error in dmesg:

mencoder[29391]: segfault at 00000000000003ac rip 00000000005527a4 rsp 00007fff0d97d570 error 6

The first number in brackets changes, as does the number after rsp. The rest seems to be the same every time.

I've tried 3 different kernels (including my older 2.6.19 kernel), recompiled mplayer several times, and forced an upgrade of mplayer to the latest masked version in portage. No change whatsoever.

tvtime plays from the composite input fine (I have a dvd player hooked up to it).

Any suggestions from the gurus?

:)
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 03, 2007
9:35 AM EDT
(First impression.)

From the evidence provided: File a bug. It's not you.

Some other ideas: segfaults are when one program tries to step on another program's memory area: It tries to play outside its pen.

The number in brackets is the PID, like in ps ax or top.

Try running it in gentoo's "safe" mode, or runlevel 1 (I don't know Gentoo).

You mentioned recompiling mplayer. Does that include recompiling mencoder? I can't recall it's been so long since I compiled mplayer (Debian's version of mplayer gives me little hassle, but I note that it is still not at ver 1.0 yet.)
techiem2

Jun 03, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
Yeah, mencoder is part of the mplayer package in gentoo.

I'll try to run it in single mode or some such.

Here's my topic on the gentoo forum. I just posted the gdb output there.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4087767.html
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 03, 2007
12:09 PM EDT
Your backtrace does remind me of one thing: Just this morning xine was crashing with demux errors. I discovered that some libraries required for the recent upgrade of xine were missing, yet the upgrade had gone ok, previously, I just hadn't tested it yet.

Basically, it was a dependency problem in Debian that I fixed manually by searching for the 'xine' or 'demux' strings in the descriptions of all that which was not installed, and installed them.

Somebody had forgot the dependencies when they packaged the program.
techiem2

Jun 03, 2007
12:19 PM EDT
hmm.

I'll try a emptytree emerge of mplayer and see if that does anything. (emerge all deps as though nothing is installed)

You cannot post until you login.