shiny bugs!

Story: KOffice 1.6.3 ReleasedTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2007
2:39 PM EDT
Yes, polishing the bugs does seem like an odd thing to do. :)

As KOffice matures, the more I like it. KWord is a pretty nice frame-oriented word processor. This makes it more like a desktop publishing application, rather than a page-oriented mess like MS Word, so you have a lot of control over page elements and layout.

Kexi is a slick little database app sort of like Access, only it works right. Krita is a good alternative to the Gimp, with a nicer look-and-feel and good organization.

My favorite feature is you don't have to install the whole suite just to get the bit you want. Overall I would call it a nice medium-weight office suite.
jezuch

Jun 11, 2007
3:16 PM EDT
OK, I'm doing aptitude install koffice right now. I want to see those shiny bugs ;) Last time I tried it had crappy fonts. I wonder if that changed after my recent font-tweaking activities.
tracyanne

Jun 11, 2007
6:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Kexi is a slick little database app sort of like Access

I must give this a try
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2007
9:21 PM EDT
Well tracyanne, if you're expecting an Access-like experience you're going to be disappointed, because Kexi works right. :)
dcparris

Jun 11, 2007
9:55 PM EDT
The problem I have with Access-like programs is that I tend to understand MySQL and PostgreSQL better. I have no idea why, but they just make more sense to me than Access. One guy (several years ago) suggested that, after learning Access, I would then be ready for the big leagues - MSSQL Server. When I started playing around with MySQL, the joins made much more sense. The explanations of different joins made a lot more sense as well. So now I see learning the straight SQL servers as a foundation for learning something like Access.

I know. I'm backwards. I admit it. :-)
dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
1:04 AM EDT
Preach it, Rev. Shake the rafters.

The biggest benefit I have ever obtained from tools that encapsulate or otherwise insulate me from SQL is frustration.

Ya know -- SQL, at least for the level we need for most of the things that we do, ain't all that hard. For the rest, there are (shivers) BOOKs!

I remain highly attached to my old copy of Joe Cecko's SQL for Smarties. I wonder if it's even possible to do have the things in that book with something like Access.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!