digitals

Story: Adventures in Digital Photography With LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
GnuGuy

Jun 21, 2007
5:51 AM EDT
Nice read, Carla. Any insight to share re shutter delay (press button and wait for the shutter to open-close) vs cost? My young bride is using an Olympus D-550. Must be 3 or 4 yrs old by now. The shutter delay is driving her nuts and maybe I can get something for her for our 35th.
tuxchick

Jun 21, 2007
8:12 AM EDT
GnuGuy, shutter delay is always going to be greater on a compact SLR than on a DSLR. The good news is the current generation cost less and perform a lot better, so that would be a dandy gift for your young bride. Those 3 or 4 years are like eons.

It's amazing what you can get in a camera these days. When I was a wee one my dad had a darkroom and we did our own black-and-white developing and printing. Color processing was insane for a home darkroom. The newfangled innovation in cameras was through-the-lens metering, so you didn't have to lug a light meter around. But you still had to adjust the aperture and shutter speed yourself. Really Cool Photographers could do it all without taking their eyes off the viewfinder. Now the camera hardly even needs a human behind it. :)
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 27, 2007
10:44 AM EDT
Carla, thanks for the article. I like seeing recommendations on specific digital camera equipment. You never know how good the picture are just by looking at the megapixel number on the camera -- there's a lot more to it. And it's an area where many of us -- especially me, could use some help.
dinotrac

Jun 27, 2007
10:52 AM EDT
>You never know how good the picture are just by looking at the megapixel number on the camera

Nope indeedy. That's why we (broke low-end shoppers) have bought Canon's. Not the highest Megapixels for the money, but low-end cameras with honest-to-gosh optical viewfinders, Canon's DIGIX magic, and really nice looking shots. Plus, they work smoothly with Digikam.

These days, I would guess that it's easier and easier to get it right when selecting a digital camera.
techiem2

Jun 27, 2007
11:04 AM EDT
Quoting:You never know how good the picture are just by looking at the megapixel number on the camera

How true. Some of the best pictures I've seen were shot by my brother with his Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 (3.2MP).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!