it works, and that's what counts

Story: Why Is It Called Iceweasel Again? - The Debian ChroniclesTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 01, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
"So between Mozilla's right to revoke usage and Debian's non-free software exclusion, something had to be done if a Mozilla flavored browser was going to be available for Debian users. What happened was Debian Developers came up with a different name and removed and/or changed all the proprietary components in Firefox so that people like me wouldn't cry about not being able use their favorite browser.

"I want to commend the Debian Developers who did all the work in making it possible to include IceWeasel in the Debian repositories. I would thank the Mozilla people too but I am not sure exactly what for, except maybe for not making it impossible for the Debian people to make the necessary changes."

And that says it all. The various legalities involved in this whole deal seem pretty convoluted and arcane, but the bottom line is it all worked out to the benefit of the users.

I think the Mozilla folks deserve thanks too, even though I oft grumble that they are much too Windows-oriented, and Linux users are the unwanted stepchildren. Because in the proprietary world the more likely scenario is all-or-nothing, rather than the compromise worked out here.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 02, 2007
11:35 AM EDT
Scott, thanks for doing the legwork on the Iceweasel/Icedove/Iceape situation -- I think the Debian team has made the right decision.

Debian also ships with the GNOME browser, which is also Mozilla based -- and which is extremely close to Firefox.

As for Mozilla, the fact that they support Windows, Mac and Linux is huge. The more free, open-source apps that work across all three platforms, the better for all of us. As many of us can attest, there's nothing like a familiar app to make the transition from Windows or Mac to Linux that much more comfortable. And while desktop environments, hardware compatibility and all the rest remain important, it's the apps we use everyday that really matter.

Sander_Marechal

Jul 02, 2007
12:04 PM EDT
Quoting:Debian also ships with the GNOME browser

You mean Epiphany. Yeah, it's pretty good but I keep missing my favourite plugins.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 02, 2007
2:16 PM EDT
I just had an ... Epiphany!!!

One thing -- it is confusing for the new user. I remember the first time I loaded my first Linux CD (Knoppix) -- "What the hell is this Iceweasel thing?" I thought it was unique to Knoppix until I saw it in Debian.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 02, 2007
6:02 PM EDT
Thanks for the compliments Steven, I just HAD to know why..and look what it got me. :-)

Just wait till the next article...stupid dash handle... :-)

Scott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!