Why does XP cost more than Vista?

Story: Don't wait for Vista SP1, pleads MicrosoftTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
henke54

Jul 05, 2007
11:00 AM EDT
Quoting:Here is a plausible explanation that admittedly is heresay.

If you call XYZ Computer needing to upgrade hardware and say you need Windows and functionality is your main concern you may be steered back to XP at an added cost.

Now there is some justification for a special order costing more except that loading XP is apparently pretty common.

What the speculation is that Microsoft is actually selling two licenses, one for Vista and an upgrade to XP.

If true, that yields a couple of bucks to Microsoft but more importantly for marketing it yields another Vista sale to be tallied for the record.

Can anyone in a position to know verify or refute that claim?

The story is believeable because of the deception Microsoft has already used to Market Vista.
http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_(A_to_Z)/Stocks_M/t...
dinotrac

Jul 05, 2007
11:52 AM EDT
henke -

I know nothing about Microsoft's machinations. They could well be doing double sales. Heck, they could kidnapping children and turning them into lizards.

If nothing else, maybe it's because XP is now a premium product.

I know a Dell reseller who, when pitching to local businesses, assures them that they will never see the Vista that comes pre-loaded from Dell. He wipes the machines and delivers them with XP instead.

It's awfully hard to get a high price for something nobody wants.
NoDough

Jul 05, 2007
1:35 PM EDT
Quoting:I know a Dell reseller who, when pitching to local businesses, assures them that they will never see the Vista that comes pre-loaded from Dell. He wipes the machines and delivers them with XP instead.
He doesn't have to. I have a Dell corporate rep for my computer orders. All I have to do is specify XP Pro and they come pre-installed that way. The business systems aren't even loaded down with crapware.

However, they no longer offer Office 2003. We are avoiding Office 2007 because of the massive interface changes. This company's employees flip out at the smallest change, so re-training for the new Office interface is unacceptable.

We are considering migrating to OpenOffice instead. Less re-training required and (guessing) only three or four spreadsheets will need special attention. I would love to see us make this move. The owners of this company are good people and will not blink at paying for support, or even contributing some of the savings to the project.

However, as always, patience is a virtue.
dinotrac

Jul 05, 2007
1:53 PM EDT
NoDough -

In all honesty, OpenOffice still has some rough edges, but, the latest versions have come a long way, especially WRT Office compatibility.

Avoiding Office 2007 may make as much sense as avoiding Vista, and that makes as much sense as breathing.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 05, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
When I was researching prices for my "Linux making small business possible" article (http://www.jejik.com/articles/2007/06/apache_and_subversion_...) I found that virtually all XP licenses (OEM or boxed) included an upgrade to Vista of some kind. I had a hard time figuring out the cost of just XP after Vista was released
danns

Jul 05, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
henke54, in a similar vein: The purchase of a MS license allows you to backrev the software to a previous version. This may require a call to MS to activate said software with the key from the new product. This has been mentioned to me many times in the past for both single licenses and software assurance type licenses. Thus, they could charge for a Vista license and backrev to XP; but it still counts as a Vista license. Why there is a price differential, I do not know.
tracyanne

Jul 05, 2007
4:21 PM EDT
Quoting:Avoiding Office 2007 may make as much sense as avoiding Vista, and that makes as much sense as breathing.

Actually avoiding both makes a great deal of sense. On the other hand, it may not be possible.
tuxchick

Jul 05, 2007
4:36 PM EDT
tracyanne, there are times when a person would not want to avoid them. Like when they're crossing the street and you're driving the beater pickup...
NoDough

Jul 06, 2007
5:00 AM EDT
Quoting:Avoiding Office 2007 may make as much sense as avoiding Vista, and that makes as much sense as breathing.
Quoting:Actually avoiding both makes a great deal of sense. On the other hand, it may not be possible.
Tracy, unless I am mistaken, you and Dino are agreeing. I would hate to stop breathing. But, inevitably, I will someday.
dinotrac

Jul 06, 2007
5:40 AM EDT
>I would hate to stop breathing.

Yes.

I must admit, though, that my grammatical construction was confusing.

I go from avoid-avoid to do.

Not conducive to a quick skim.
tracyanne

Jul 06, 2007
2:45 PM EDT
dino: I read your post 3 times and still came up with the opposite - apparently - from what you meant, hence my post.

I skim until I find something interesting, then go back and read it properly.
dinotrac

Jul 06, 2007
6:29 PM EDT
> I read your post 3 times

OK, not conducive to multiple careful reads!!!!!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!