Too bad

Story: Hardware4Linux LaunchesTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
robT

Jul 16, 2007
4:19 PM EDT
It's too bad that these sites that track this stuff end up falling to the wayside. There is so much out-of-date information regarding Linux help still coming up from Internet searches.
tracyanne

Jul 16, 2007
6:49 PM EDT
This one show more promise than most.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 16, 2007
8:41 PM EDT
I agree. Being nearly fully automated makes it a lot easier. He should try to get his collector in the big distro's repositories.
Aladdin_Sane

Jul 16, 2007
11:25 PM EDT
Needs a wiki for maintainability. That way, it should be lowest possible maintenance for one person.

The site itself I found impressive. "More impressive than most of this type."

The hardware drilled down to the very specific.

Example: it knew that my BCM5782 based NIC was made by HP. Even I barely remembered that: I was buying the chip, not the card (to evaluate the lameness of BCM network chips & drivers compared to Intel).

The software was easy to install on Debian with alien, the instructions were clear, and obvious.

Privacy issues kept me from trying it at first. Then I realized that it wasn't going to keep a process in memory for monitoring, but only take a snapshot. The two step process allows one to decide to upload or not, the report simply gets written to /tmp.

Could not find the info on nVidia cards on the site, but everything else I looked for was easy to find and very specific, which will prevent confusion in the future.

Good planning.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!