good point, but it's a broken promise

Story: Ubuntu’s best move everTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Jul 23, 2007
7:25 AM EDT
Who is the target of the Linux Advocate?

Windows Users.

What will the Windows User have when (s)he decides to try Linux?

Files on a Windows Computer.

Will those files be immediately available to me once I put in the live cd or install Ubuntu on my machine?

(crickets chirping)

(wind whispering thru the tall pines)

(uncomfortable fidgeting in chair)

Well, will they?

Kinda...I mean, yeah, you can get to them...look, just do this...open your terminal and type "sudo.....

Until Ubuntu catches up with the rest of the New User Friendly Distro's, they will remain to be the first and last impression tens of thousands of people have.

"Linux, yeah I tried it...it's kinda cool but it's too hard to work with."

What version are we coming up to now...7.10? You think you might wanna include a right click/mount feature in your file system? With your immense popularity, you cannot afford to just float down the river, adding "those small touches" as you get a round tuit. I am now employed by a firm that provides tech support to hundreds of ISP's and almost every one of those geeks working there think Ubuntu IS Linux. With this many people flocking to your distro, you can't afford to be screwing up the little things.

Might be a good idea to fix this before you chase another ten thousand users away.

h
jdixon

Jul 23, 2007
10:23 AM EDT
> You think you might wanna include a right click/mount feature in your file system?

I thought the right click mount feature was built into Gnome? It was in Slackware as far back as 8.something, from memory, before Patrick dropped Gnome from the distro. Of course, Slackware doesn't have any reputation for being "user friendly" to uphold.
helios

Jul 23, 2007
10:38 AM EDT
No, I thought so to but a recent encounter with an associate brought this shortcoming to light. You actually have to invoke the command line and mount string to get your other files mounted. Even in KDE where it is supposed to be easier, the installation of tools such as KwikDisk produced an fstab error when ordering the drives mounted. Up until two weeks ago, one still had to manually edit the fstab and mtab config files by hand...

And as far as slackware goes, maybe Vector Linux doesn't qualify as pure, but they've taken much of the sting out of using Linux. Those guys have produced a beautiful "almost" new user ready distro...the installer will put many off, but I hear in the wind that this too is being addressed for the next release.
tracyanne

Jul 23, 2007
1:23 PM EDT
I've not known a time when I've not been able to right click mount on Mandriva. But mostly I don't even have to do that, the alien file system gets mounted automagically.
jdixon

Jul 23, 2007
5:02 PM EDT
> ...the installer will put many off,...

From memory, the installer is a slightly modified version of Slackware's installer. I will agree that it may be off-putting to newbies, but it has the great advantage that it works on pretty much any system, which is not something you can say about the graphical installers out there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!