Learn how to use a computer or go back to Windows

Story: Adventures in Digital Photography With Linux, part 3: PrintingTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2007
3:35 AM EDT
>I know that drag-n-drop and WYSIWYG

And yet you use them. Pitiful.

Any real Linux users know that the easy way to handle this problem is to open up two Emacs windows. You can use separate Emacs instances or split the frame, depending on your preference. That is, after all, the power of Linux. You could use vi, but who would want to?

Anyway, open your image in binary mode in one window, and type out the appropriate postscript commands to generate a printed page that corresponds to the hex in the image.

What could be easier? Better still, you don't waste your resources on another WYSIWYG crapplication. You can use X for what it was really mean to do: let you overlap Emacs instances.

If you can't manage this simple task, maybe you should go back to Windows or, better yet, an Etch-a-Sketch.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 15, 2007
4:27 AM EDT
Why am I suddenly reminded of http://humorix.org/articles/2006/06/hurd/ ? :-)
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2007
6:52 AM EDT
Sander -

Well, that only make sense. I'm still waiting for the next logical extension: EMACS-based HDTV. It'll display an incredible picture, but you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to change the channel.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2007
7:08 AM EDT
> You could use vi, but who would want to?

You called? :)

I tried using emacs once. I wore out the control keys on three keyboards before I could complete the one page document I was working on. :)
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2007
7:42 AM EDT
jdixon -

Don't tell anyone, but I use vi too. I'm just not smart enough to make Emacs work the way I want to. But, you know, this is kind of a techie board and I didn't want everybody to think I was completely uncool. Mostly, fine. Completely? No.
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2007
9:20 AM EDT
Pah. I bet you alleged vi users are really using vim, because most modern distributions symlink vi to vim. Real geeks use ed.
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2007
9:44 AM EDT
>Pah. I bet you alleged vi users are really using vim, because most modern distributions symlink vi to vim. Real geeks use ed.

I confess. Since leaving my last contract and becoming a stay-at-home, I have used vim instead of vi.

I do use sed, but not ed.

I do, however, have fond memories of watching Mr. Ed.

Does that count?
jrm

Aug 15, 2007
10:04 AM EDT
I'm confident that on jdixon's computer, vi links to elvis.

(Emacs users rely on their pinky fingers to reach the CTL and ALT keys. For those of us with opposable thumbs, vi makes more sense.)
Inhibit

Aug 15, 2007
11:12 AM EDT
ed? blasphemy. That's what cat, | and > are for...
jdixon

Aug 15, 2007
3:23 PM EDT
> I'm confident that on jdixon's computer, vi links to elvis.

What else would you expect from Slackware? :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!