[Dell] Consumer virtualization

Story: Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with VirtualizationTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 20, 2007
10:37 AM EDT
Before I poke fun at this, it would be nice if there were enough info in the article to understand it.

The base OS will be? Viridian I take it? Or ESX? What? Vista+VMWare? SLED+Xen?

The implied MacOSX non-support support is also confusing. Can someone say what is being said here? Or take a WAG, at least?

/s/ Confused
jdixon

Aug 20, 2007
10:48 AM EDT
> ...it would be nice if there were enough info in the article to understand it.

Yes, that would help wouldn't it?

> The base OS will be?

Since VMplayer and VMserver are now a free (note: lower case f) products, and available for both Linux and Windows; it could easily be any of Vista, XP, or Linux running either of them. Exactly what they choose will probably depend largely on their target market. If they're aiming at business server use, then ESX is the obvious choice. If it's for business desktop/consumer use, then VMware Player probably makes the most sense.
wjl

Aug 20, 2007
11:35 AM EDT
Whatever.

With multiple versions/instances of ${PROPRIETARY_OS}, you have to add multiple tax payments.

The underlying thoughts aren't that bad - a modern machine with - let's say - 2 Gig or more of RAM would make a pretty decent home server and workstation at the same time. Or a play and work box. A copy of my web server onsite, and a development machine. The possibilities are endless, as we all know. I would prefer to set that up myself tho, with really free software, and under the OSses and licenses I choose.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 21, 2007
11:52 AM EDT
Quoting: If they're aiming at business server use, then ESX is the obvious choice.

GSX will work perfectly well in a small environment, no need for the expensive stuff, IMO. Most of our clients are less than 20 users, and we use the free server at several with no issues.
jdixon

Aug 21, 2007
12:09 PM EDT
> GSX will work perfectly well in a small environment,...

GSX isn't listed in their current product list: http://www.vmware.com/products/product_index.html

I thought it had been replaced by VMware Server.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 21, 2007
12:11 PM EDT
Quoting: I thought it had been replaced by VMware Server.

I guess they changed the name, perhaps. Or, GSX is the "official" name, but whatever the case I am speaking of the free product.
jdixon

Aug 21, 2007
12:17 PM EDT
... but whatever the case I am speaking of the free product.

Yes, that would be VMware Server. It's free, but you have to given them your email address to get the license keys.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 21, 2007
12:24 PM EDT
Quoting: It's free, but you have to given them your email address to get the license keys.

Give them a crap Yahoo address, and you can request up to 100 license keys at the same time. Do you need some keys? :)
jdixon

Aug 21, 2007
12:27 PM EDT
> Do you need some keys? :)

No. They already had my address from when I did some beta testing on VMware Workstation 5. I've got 2 Linux keys and 1 Windows key (for use at work). Getting it to work on Slackware was "interesting".
rijelkentaurus

Aug 21, 2007
12:36 PM EDT
I've got about 88 keys left, LOL. Getting it to work on PCLOS was easy...VMWare likes RPM-based distros better than others. I'm sure Slack was an experience.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 21, 2007
1:36 PM EDT
Quoting:The base OS will be? Viridian I take it? Or ESX? What? Vista+VMWare? SLED+Xen?

I'll try to find out :-)
tuxchick

Aug 21, 2007
4:00 PM EDT
Something like this is another excellent migration tool away from winduhs. You'll get people who wouldn't have considered any alternatives going "hmm, both at the same time, why not."
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 21, 2007
4:45 PM EDT
Quoting:You'll get people who wouldn't have considered any alternatives going "hmm, both at the same time, why not."

Yes. But I just can't help imagining the nightmare for Tech Support. In fact I don't have to imagine it, since I lived it in a past life.

Well, UF and other comic sites have covered the classics pretty well already, like disappearing "Start" buttons, and broken cup holders, etc., etc.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!