Testers wanted: gnome-hearts

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Aug 26, 2007
10:39 PM EDT
Hi all.

I am readying the release of the 0.2 version of gnome-hearts. From a user's point of view there are only minor changes, but at the back-end it's been pretty much rewritten all the way. Plus I dumped the Lua scripting engine in favour of Python.

The first few releases of gnome-hearts 0.1 were plagued by build problems, especially on non-debian or derivatives systems due to Lua. Before pushing out the 0.2 release I would really appreciate it if some of you could compile and test this one to avoid a repeat of the 0.1 problems. The more distro's, the better!

What you need: The gnome-hearts package: http://svn.jejik.com/viewvc.cgi/gnome-hearts/trunk.tar.gz?vi... Build tools, including GCC, autoconf/automake, intltool, etcetera Header/devel files for GNOME and Python (libgnomeui-2.0 gtk+-2.0 libglade-2.0 glib-2.0 and Python2.3 or better)

Optionally, you can install the gnome-games or gnome-games-extra-data packages. gnome-hearts is able to use the card decks provided by these packages (if you configure/install gnome-hearts in /usr. See below).

The build system should tell you exactly what you are missing, if anything.

What to do: If you currently have gnome-hearts installed, make a backup of your ~/.gnome-hearts.cfg file because this new version is incompatible with the old one so it will be replaced. Download my package from the link above, extract it somewhere convenient, then run: ./bootstrap (to prepare the package) ./configure (it will default to /usr/local. Use --prefix=/usr to make it install in /usr. If you install to /usr, make sure you remove an existing old version of gnome-hearts first.) make sudo make install

Any problems you encounter you can post here, report in my Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.jejik.com) or e-mail me (See the sources AUTHORS file for my mail address).

Thanks in advance!
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
minor correction

will "./sudo make install" work in the context in which you mean? Not being a sudo user, I assume something more like "sudo ./make install" is correct?
techiem2

Aug 27, 2007
10:36 AM EDT
Wouldn't it just be

make sudo make install

I'm assuming make and sudo are the system copies, not bins in the source dir. :)
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
10:38 AM EDT
Sounds right to me
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
11:11 AM EDT
Yes, apologies. It's make && sudo make install sans the ./

So, did it build and run for you? On what distro?
techiem2

Aug 27, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
It builds and runs fine on gentoo. Close button on the about box doesn't work. :) It seems to play fine though.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
12:15 PM EDT
Quoting:Close button on the about box doesn't work. :)

Do you mean the actual button in the bottom-right? Or the [X] on the window border? The [X] did indeed not work (caused a segfault here on Debian). Same story for the "hint" window. I forgot to add signals to them. Both are fixed now. If you re-download from the link above (which always points to the latest TRUNK) it should work now.
techiem2

Aug 27, 2007
12:27 PM EDT
The button. The X worked fine for me. (fluxbox)
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
How odd. I now have manually attached a "close" signal to the close button and committed revision 144. Could you re-download and try again? Also, what's your libglade version?
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
3:51 PM EDT
Well, since Slackware no longer includes Gnome, it's not surprising that it doesn't compile.

Bootstrap stopped when it didn't find intltool. Eventually there would have been problems with libgnomeui too. Neither is included in Slackware. The rest of the requirements listed appear to be there.

There are third party Gnome installers for Slackware, but none of them are really 12.0 ready, so I'm doing without Gnome for the time being.
jrm

Aug 27, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
I'm using Slackware 12 with a minimal gnome-2.18.3 build. Gnome-Hearts builds and runs for me.

(The "close" button still doesn't seem to work on the "About" screen though. libglade is v2.6.1)
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
6:50 PM EDT
> I'm using Slackware 12 with a minimal gnome-2.18.3 build.

Which version did you install, if I may be nosy? I've been looking at the various options and none of them seem to be a good fit, outside of possibly building Garnome myself, which is not something I want to tackle right now.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
9:09 PM EDT
I am using libglade 2.6.0, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've changed the "close" signal to a "response" signal. Could you try again please?
jrm

Aug 28, 2007
3:37 AM EDT
@Sander: Yes, that fixed it.

@jdixon: I emailed you a link. It's a script that downloads the source and builds the Slackware packages. If anybody else is interested, the best place to start is probably here... http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=567...
Sander_Marechal

Aug 28, 2007
5:40 AM EDT
Thanks for testing :-)

So, that's a thumbs-up for Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo. Anyone got a Suse or Red Hat system to try this on? Suse was particularly flaky in gnome-hearts 0.1.

You cannot post until you login.