...predicting that the OOXML vote has failed to pass

Story: If this were any other JTC1 Proposal, the OOXML Vote Would be Over NowTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Aladdin_Sane

Sep 03, 2007
9:03 PM EDT
This starts to remind me of a presidential election.
tuxchick

Sep 03, 2007
9:39 PM EDT
But we want to know NOW!!!

;)
jacog

Sep 04, 2007
1:17 AM EDT
Still waiting for the official word. Argh, the suspenders are killing me. This delay in announcing it makes me think there are some last minute bribes going on. Unless I misunderstand the process.

Are the "no with comments" votes going to come bite the process in the butt?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 04, 2007
1:33 AM EDT
Yes, unless there's some backroom deals going on that we don't know about: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/92010/index.html

There are sufficient "no" votes to stop OOXML for now, which means that all comments submitted with those "no" votes need to be resolved by ECMA instead of simply glanced over and pushed aside. If there is even only one issue that's unresolvable then OOXML will have failed ISO alltogether. From the many issues I remember being posted to Grokdoc I'd say that there is plenty of things that could end up being unresolvable.
jacog

Sep 04, 2007
1:54 AM EDT
Well good. Regardless, I am not sure I really trust this process anymore. It seems too easy to monkey with it.
dinotrac

Sep 04, 2007
3:39 AM EDT
>Well good. Regardless, I am not sure I really trust this process anymore. It seems too easy to monkey with it.

The time not to trust the process is at the end.

Just because there is room for abuse, doesn't mean it turns out badly. Wait and see.

Lots of processes in human activity have checks and balances built in to correct problems inherent in the fact that human beings are ones to carry them out.

In the US, the President can veto any law passed by Congress, thus preventing it from taking effect. Congress, if enough members get together, can override the veto.

Somebody improperly convicted of a crime has the right to appeal.

None of these safety valves is perfect, but they can't be. The only way to eliminate bad outcomes is to eliminate the ability to reliably create good ones.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!