Writings on the Wall

Story: Commercial Software Will Include Open Source, Gartner SaysTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Abe

Sep 20, 2007
12:02 PM EDT
Driver of Gartner sees the writings on the walls but still doesn't see the whole picture.

He see FOSS gaining momentum every where and most of all, he sees companies becoming aware of the benefits and power of FOSS. Scrambling they are. That is a solid evidence of not taking FOSS seriously enough, thanks to Gartner and others like them, who kept casting shadows over FOSS. They have done their customers a big dis-service by not realizing the merits of FOSS and not recommending it sooner.

Quoting:Open source also does not guarantee a higher quality of code or better total cost of ownership than proprietary or internally developed software, Driver said. "If you think it will, you will be sorely disappointed, as that is not always the case. Some open software is better, and some is not," he said.

Gartner still doesn't see the cost benefits and saving in FOSS yet. They would if they have done the due diligence like they are supposed. Give them time and it will hit them in the face like a speed train when their clients show them the figures of cost benefits.

As a technology Analysts group, they should have seen this long time ago and not to wait for their customers to show it to them.

I guess they have to take care of their business first and customers come 2nd. They are a reactionary group rather than a predictive one like they should be.

They are pretty much useless.

herzeleid

Sep 20, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
I pretty much wrote gartner off years ago. My company pays for that baloney, and I was reading a lot of their white papers while choosing vendors for infrastructure functions. I was very unimpressed, most of what I read looked like a report on computers hastily thrown together by some rather dull and lazy intern who can't be bothered to check facts.

What a scam! They consistently get it wrong, year after year, and corporations line up to pay big money for more heapin helpins of that horse manure.

-- KDE/SuSE 10.2 - Unix since 1984, Linux since 1993, SuSE since 2004 Linux 2.6.23-rc7-default #3 SMP Wed Sep 19 20:20:53 PDT 2007 i686
Abe

Sep 20, 2007
2:42 PM EDT
Quoting:My company pays for that baloney, and I was reading a lot of their white papers while choosing vendors for infrastructure functions.

So does mine. PHBs love them just to cover their lower behind with their reports when it gets exposed.

I can cite personal experience but I rather not.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!