Think about how this makes the community look as a whole

Story: Linux Journal: How Not To Run A BusinessTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
fredbird67

Oct 02, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
I hadn't noticed the offensive content personally, but I too am very disappointed in LJ for their poor taste. One thing they need to ask themselves is "how is this going to reflect on the Linux community?". Well, IMHO, I think it makes the Linux community look bad and makes us look like we're sexist.

My friends, that is NOT the way to win friends and influence people! To anyone who thinks it is, you've got another thing coming!

Linux is a clearly technically superior operating system to Windows, yet it seems like someone or other within the community is sabotaging it and the chance it has to become mainstream. Several years ago it was all the infighting between different camps such as RPM vs. DEB, GNOME vs. KDE, etc. And now this, which has NO business whatsoever in a Linux magazine!

WAKE UP, LJ! If Linux is going to gain a significant market share on the desktop, then you're going to need to knock it off with this demeaning attitude toward women or else it's gonna make Linux look bad, and when we're trying to deliver the TKO to that Goliath from Redmond, that is NOT the image Linux needs, and it's NOT FUNNY!

For the record, unless LJ gets their act together, I'm not about to buy LJ whenever I'm at Barnes & Noble or Borders. I think a boycott of LJ and its affiliated publications may be in order here. LJ, does the word BOYCOTT mean anything to you? It should, unless you don't mind seeing LJ cease publication -- which it will if you don't change your attitudes toward women.
shmget

Oct 02, 2007
9:01 AM EDT
"I hadn't noticed the offensive content personally," And most people wouldn't have either if it wasn't for Carla's promotion campaign.

"Linux is a clearly technically superior operating system to Windows," Which has nothing to do with market share: VHS won!

"For the record, unless LJ gets their act together," Sorry, but there is way enough politically correct bullshit around, there is no need to ask for more hypocrite and watered down to the point of tasteless, disney-like Orwellian environment.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 02, 2007
9:11 AM EDT
> Sorry, but there is way enough politically correct bullshit around, there is no need to ask for more hypocrite and watered down to the point of tasteless, disney-like Orwellian environment. Woot! (I think that is the first time I have ever typed that)

However, Disney-like crap _sells_. Just ask my 4-year old.
jdixon

Oct 02, 2007
9:12 AM EDT
> ...and watered down to the point of tasteless...

Well, tasteless definitely describes the ad which prompted this discussion. So I don't guess you have to ask for it where Linux Journal is concerned.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!