Community-Run Linux Events

Story: The Real Value of Ohio (GNU)LinuxFestTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
beirwin

Oct 02, 2007
3:23 PM EDT
Sure wish I could have attended the Ohio Linux Fest. IMO, these community-run events are far and away better than the large commercial shows (more affordable, too).

It's got me thinking that it would be a good thing to organize for Western Canada.

Barbara

nicsmr

Oct 03, 2007
6:28 AM EDT
I DID attend the Ohio LinuxFest and OLFU. Except for a couple of disappointments, the whole experience was a positive one.

As for a western Canada event, On October 27, 2007 , COSSFEST 2007 (Calgary Open Source Systems Festival) formerly known as the Calgary Linux fest will occur.

Here is the link ... http://www.cossfest.ca/

Althought not in Canada, The LinuxFest North West occurs in Belingham in April. an excellent event I also attended this year. Belingham is just south of Vancouver, BC. Lots of people from BC attend that one.

Here is the link... http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/

Hope you can make it out to one or both of these events... nick

beirwin

Oct 03, 2007
8:10 AM EDT
Thanks for your references to these two events, Nick. I am aware of these two events. I was thinking of an event organized by BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba LUGs as well. The more the merrier!
nicsmr

Oct 03, 2007
9:52 AM EDT
Sorry but I can't agree with the more the merrier.

In my case the almighty dollar rules. I can only spend a certain amount of money on these thing (family, home, children take precedence I'm afraing) so I would not be able to attend many of them. I'm sure that most people are in the same boat. Also vendors can support/sponsor only a certain amount of these fests (how many linuxfests can GOOGLE sponsor?).

Rather than 'dilute' the attendance/support/sponsorship by staging many smaller linuxfests, I would suggest holding some bigger multi LUG fests where say the Prairie provinces LUGS could get together and present a big event, maybe in a different locale every year . BC already contributes a lot to the Linuxfest NW I understand.

Just my opinion Nick

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!