huh

Story: A label printer for LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
nikkels

Oct 09, 2007
8:05 PM EDT
Should I get a PhD, a BA or any other degree first before I buy/install this printer.

If they can't deliver drivers, I will do anything to boycot them

And yes, I am in a foul mood today.
tuxchick

Oct 09, 2007
10:13 PM EDT
Heh, that's a rather lame review. To paraphrase: "Their alleged Linux support is nearly non-existent, and your $150 buys you a big bag of headaches and a tiny serving of usability. A good buy! Thumbs up!"

No thx.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 09, 2007
10:41 PM EDT
I really don't see the problem. When this driver gets into the linuxprinting.org collection and through that in your distro, it's as easy as any other printer. All that's then left to do is make some useful templates for OOo and the like.

Like the article said, it's a work in progress. We should be encouraging hardware manufacturers to embrace Linux and make better drivers. Not boycott them because the first revision isn't of the same quality drivers that have been available for years.
nikkels

Oct 09, 2007
11:43 PM EDT
Yes Sander, you are right. My apologies. But it is getting frustrating when you buy a piece of hardware and there are no drivers for it. If I need a driver for my printer , I need it "" now "". Not in next kernel, or next-next kernel.

Where I live, there are many dozens of LCDs for sale. Acer, Qbenz, LG......and guess what. No drivers ( except generic ) There are many dozens of printers...guess what..no drivers. ( I am running the 2.6.22-9 kernel )

So, how do I buy a device. Print out the entire dB of drivers and take it to the shop ? and hope that they have a device that matches my list.

Sorry, just got carried away, but enjoyed writing this. See you in next-next-next post

Nikkels
gus3

Oct 10, 2007
12:01 AM EDT
Quoting:So, how do I buy a device. Print out the entire dB of drivers and take it to the shop ?
I know it was unintentional, but your choice of "dB" is actually on-the-mark. Think about it:

Print out the entire deciBels of drivers, take it to the shop, and SCREAM it into the clerk's face that "I use LINUX and why do you insist on treating me as a fourth-class customer?!?"

That's an amusing mental image.
tuxchick

Oct 10, 2007
2:18 AM EDT
Sander, it's not like Linux is this deep dark secret that just emerged yesterday. Such weak support is silly. What do these company engineers do all day? Poke at Ubuntu CDs with sticks and wonder what to do? I'll wager if they handed out some printers to some FOSS devs they'd have a truckload of useful features in a few weeks, instead of this half-baked excuse that barely works. They boast of their Mac OS X support- OS X uses CUPS, just like Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!