Dell have lost this Australian as a customer.

Story: The LXer Interview: John Hull of DellTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 12, 2007
5:13 AM EDT
They've sat on their hands for too long, and I won't bother with them ever again.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2007
5:37 AM EDT
I must agree, he's been at it for 7 years and he "can't" get his vendors to provide Linux kernel compatible hardware?

I guess he never tried the argument, "If you use chipsets that are already supported, you don't have to pay anyone to write drivers."
jdixon

Oct 12, 2007
5:44 AM EDT
They lost my purchase when they didn't offer an AMD system with Linux, only Intel. :(
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2007
6:29 AM EDT
Hmm, I knew I wasn't the only one with an AMD prejudice. Glad to see I'm in good company.
dinotrac

Oct 12, 2007
6:40 AM EDT
>Glad to see I'm in good company.

You're in bad company, too. I seriously considered building a myth frontend with the new Celeron D-430, a 35W Conroe chip. Then I saw the 45W Sempron, allowed a little to make up for the integrated parts that are external chipsets with Intel, and stuck with AMD.

Yeah, I know -- the latest Intel pieces have jumped ahead in the performance curve,but AMD still competes in the price-performance and performance per watt segments.
jdixon

Oct 12, 2007
6:53 AM EDT
> You're in bad company, too.

I don't think so, Dino. You always have good reasons when you disagree.

> ...but AMD still competes in the price-performance and performance per watt segments.

Yep.
dinotrac

Oct 12, 2007
7:17 AM EDT
>Yep.

Yeah, the little box really flies, too. de-i nterlaced 1080I HDTV around 40%, including the lousy wireless lan overhead. Not bad for a $40 chip.

Looking forward to mac80211.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2007
8:28 AM EDT
> Looking forward to mac80211.

Gee, you're going to be waiting a while. Isn't Apple only up to MacOS10.2 or such?

But seriously, I thought AMDs coup with x86-64 was wonderful. The Giant Intel had to adapt to someone else for a change.

Other than that, it really is just prejudice on my part. I'm using a P4 right now, just because it was in the machine I wanted, and it's worked fine.

Edit: Ooops, forgot "Some of my best friends use Intel."
tracyanne

Oct 12, 2007
12:17 PM EDT
Quoting:I seriously considered building a myth frontend

I've just built myself a MythTV device using an oldish (second hand) 2 Gig Compaq, using KnoppMyth, an Hauppage PVR500 and an nVidia 5200 card. I thought it was rather easy to set up, and I love what I can do with it. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a remote for it, so I'm using the keyboard.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2007
12:32 PM EDT
> Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a remote for it, so I'm using the keyboard.

I've resolved that when I build my PVR, as with yours, it's going to be MythTV. But I am just fine using the keyboard, and have found on NewEgg some wireless keyboard/touchpad and keyboard/trackball one-piece combinations that look good. I would like a white one, so I can sit on the couch and make changes.

So what are 2G surplus towers going for?

hkwint

Oct 12, 2007
2:06 PM EDT
Quoting:So what are 2G surplus towers going for?

I guess it's cheaper to buy a 1G tower and add the other G yourself. Be sure to use DDR2, since it's two times as cheap as DDR(1). Over here, 1GB is 20 Euro's, so I guess over there it's $20?

jdixon

Oct 12, 2007
2:09 PM EDT
> ...so I guess over there it's $20?

Closer to $25, I believe.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 12, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
Sorry, 2GHz not 2GB. :^)

Never mind, no money for it anyway.
dinotrac

Oct 12, 2007
2:45 PM EDT
> Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a remote for it, so I'm using the keyboard.

Ditto. Side effect of having to work on the cheap, but I am reading up on LIRC...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!