More hardware advice needed: SATAII and PCI-X

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Oct 27, 2007
4:24 PM EDT
Hello, I am in need of some more hardware advice from you gurus out here (I'm on a hardware spending spree :-)

I have a HP ProLiant ML370 G3 server (This one: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirec... [PDF]). It has a bunch of 64-bit, 100 Mhz PCI-X slots. It's running slow on storage, so I was very happy that I got two 500 Gb hard disks for my birthday recently. Well, I haven't actually got them yet. I get to pick them out and order them, while someone else picks up the tab :-)

The server doesn't have any SATA slots of course, so I am looking at my options. From reading Wikipedia I gather that 64-bit/100 Mhz PCI-X has a throughput of 768 Mbyte/sec. Enough to host two SATA 3.0 disks which can do about 300 Mbyte/sec max.

I plan to use the two 500 Gb disks as a RAID 1 volume. I also vaguely recall someone here saying that Linux's software RAID is better than any software RAID out there, and that it even beats most low-cost hardware-RAID solutions. So, I think I'm in need of a simple 2-port SATA 3.0 PCI-X card. I think. Can anyone tell me if I'm thinking correctly here, before I start spending EUR 300+ ? And can you perhaps recommend a card?

Also, what about power? I see that SATA has new power connectors as well. Are there convertors that I can plug in, either on the motherboard, or the PCI-X card? Or convert from IDE power?

Thanks in advance!
Sander_Marechal

Oct 27, 2007
4:43 PM EDT
Question: I am looking around at hardware and I see lots of 133 Mhz PCI-X cards out there. Are those backwards-compatible? I.e. can they run at 100 Mhz in my server? Or does that vary per manufacturer?

You cannot post until you login.