Photo editing app that handles IPTC?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 08, 2007
10:03 AM EDT
Help! I spend most of my day in the GIMP, processing photos for Web publication, but I'm running into a problem.

I need to start preserving and adding to the embedded IPTC info in JPEG images -- that's where we keep caption, credit and copyright information.

I had hoped that GIMP 2.4 would at least preserve the IPTC info, but once an image is saved in the GIMP, all IPTC info is erased.

Things I need to do with images, besides managing IPTC, are shrinking images, changing their DPI and cropping to exact pixel dimensions. In other words, nothing too crazy.

So does anybody have another app they recommend? I'd rather not be reduced to Photoshop on PC.
dinotrac

Nov 08, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
wrjpgcom and rdjpgcom
Ric

Apr 22, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
I wrote a small hack to make Gimp retain the IPTC tags. You can download the source (and .EXE for Windows) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardo_ferreira/2435354902/

It's a very simple hack, and I'm sure it must be easy to make a port to any platform (maybe using exiv2 on Linux)...
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 22, 2008
8:30 PM EDT
Whoa! If this works, I will be a very happy camper. I haven't run GIMP in Windows in a dog's age for this very reason.

You cannot post until you login.