mvermeer

Nov 09, 2007
10:52 AM EDT
...and it is called LyX.

No, it doesn't completely replace reading the Beamer manual ;-/
bigg

Nov 09, 2007
11:08 AM EDT
Good to know that. The default presentation packages in LyX don't seem to do everything I want. I looked at the article and was scared away, though, by all the .tex code. I'll definitely be giving it a try.
montezuma

Nov 09, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
The ornate conference template in lyx looks useful. I'll check it out. The pdf produced seems to work well with evince which is another bonus. acroread is pretty jerky whereas evince feels lighter and smoother.

Edit: BTW Martin thanks for lyx! I use it for all my papers....
bigg

Nov 09, 2007
1:42 PM EDT
After wasting some time, it finally occurred to me to open synaptic and search for beamer (I always forget that when using Debian, it's probably in the repositories). I installed it, reconfigured, and opened the beamer template.

Holy crap. Now that's a presentation.

Thanks for LyX if you're the one responsible for it Martin.
robT

Nov 09, 2007
8:02 PM EDT
I use LyX a lot. The 1.5 version(s) are much better than the predecessors. With LyX it's incredibly easy to put together a presentation using the Beamer class.
bigg

Nov 10, 2007
4:57 AM EDT
> The 1.5 version(s) are much better than the predecessors.

I used to use Scientific Word. 1.3 was still behind in a few areas, 1.4 fixed most of the weaknesses, and now 1.5 is so far ahead of SW that I can't figure out why anyone still uses SW.

When I moved completely to Linux, LyX made that part of the transition a non-issue. A perfect example of how porting FOSS to Windows removes the barriers to ditching Windows.
mvermeer

Nov 13, 2007
6:54 AM EDT
> Thanks for LyX if you're the one responsible for it Martin.

One of many... appreciated.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!