An Idea Worth Copying

Story: Radiohead knows more than Microsoft about securityTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 19, 2007
11:07 AM EDT
I have played Drums semi-professionally for the last 20+ years and the band I am in now we are in the midst of copyrighting all of our songs which we will then be able to form a publishing company around. Once that is done we will be able to sell and distribute or if we choose, give away copies of our own music like Radiohead is doing.

The reason that the MPAA and the RIAA are so pissed is because Radiohead owns the publishing company that controls the rights to their new album, and their is nothing they can do about it. They attempted to stop its distribution but could not prove that had a right to distribute it because they do not own the publishing company for that music. They have been cut out of the piece of the pie that they never owned anyway.

By the way, the record companies take is usually 50% or more, just to promote and distribute music. So even if 60% of the people who download their album do not pay for it Radiohead will still easily make more money than if they had gone the "traditional' route.

moopst

Nov 19, 2007
10:26 PM EDT
This is a good first step but I think the real tectonic shift will happen when a new band gets discovered on the internet. When bands vie for their big chance on youtube rather than their highrise offices the traditional "promoters" will be seen to promote mainly their own money interests.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 19, 2007
10:53 PM EDT
Quoting:I think the real tectonic shift will happen when a new band gets discovered on the internet.

Already happened. I don't remember the name of the band (not my kind of music. I'm into 80's heavy metal) but it was in the UK IIRC. Some band stormed the #1 position in the charts purely from downloads and word-of-mount on the internet. They didn't have any association with the music labels.
tuxchick

Nov 20, 2007
7:28 AM EDT
moopst, you're right. That's a different game than going independent after already being famous and successful.
gus3

Nov 20, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
>it was in the UK IIRC. Some band stormed the #1 position in the charts purely from downloads and word-of-mount on the internet.

"Crazy Frog Axel F"?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 20, 2007
11:42 AM EDT
Hahaha, no :-)
hkwint

Nov 20, 2007
3:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Already happened. I don't remember the name of the band...

Arctic Monkeys is probably the name you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_monkeys

Also, Esmee Denters serves as a fine example; she always sings on Youtube and owns a Myspace, Hyves etc. profile where everybody can become her friend, and through that friend network she 'distributes' her music, most of the times for free. In the beginning, she never made any money out of it; this also wasn't her intention. However, when Justin Timberlake saw her sing, he asked her to join him on stage; and this was the result:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v99/64/120/62...

Remember, the girl had never been on stage before, all her clips were recorded in her 'girlish' sleeping room! OK, to be honest, Esmee ended up at a recording label, but it was Justin Timberlakes own label, not a RIAA-label, and since Justin himself is a fan of Esmee, he's probably not going to rip her off.

Also worth mentioning is Stacey Records, founded by the then 16 year old girl Stacey Rookhuizen who was unsatisfied with the lack of attention from major labels for new artists, and therefore, she founded her own record label. The major labels didn't do their best for 'unproven startup-bands' because their revenue was decreasing as a result of p2p-downloading. After a fair bit of media-attention, Stacey's collection-albums 'Dutch Delight' were kind of successful. This didn't go unnoticed, and SonyBMG asked her to join BGM - which means they do see her as a threat. She did for a while, but last year she quit because the liked to be her own boss. She's also doing adds via Myspace et.all. I believe, so though she is a 'regular' record label, she uses new media a lot, and therefore also is a threat to major recold labels.

These three examples I mentioned are only from the West-European region and the ones I am aware of, so there must be a lot more of these 'threats' to major labels out there. So I'm curious to see how this evolves; and thinking about it, it is interesting to see the RIAA is as desperate as Microsoft at this time.
tracyanne

Nov 20, 2007
3:55 PM EDT
Don't forget Magnatune "We are not Evil" at http://www.magnatune.com/
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 20, 2007
5:58 PM EDT
What a great example tracyanne,

I have bought and then immediately downloaded several albums from there. Magnatune will most likely be the only other place besides our own website that you will be able to buy our music from.

They have so many great artists on their website, its incredible.

Sander_Marechal

Nov 20, 2007
9:53 PM EDT
Quoting:Arctic Monkeys is probably the name you're looking for

Yup, that's the one.
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2007
12:12 AM EDT
I'm on Magnatune's Song of the Day list, so I get a daily email from them with all sorts of musical genres and artists. It's all good.
techiem2

Nov 21, 2007
4:38 PM EDT
Also check out http://www.mindawn.net I haven't bought anything from them, but there's some stuff I might when I get around to it. Everything is provided in ogg, flac, or both.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!