HowTo: Windows load balancer non single point of failiure.

Story: Setting Up A High-Availability Load Balancer (With Failover and Session Support) With HAProxy/Heartbeat On Debian EtchTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
cyrosystems

Nov 20, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
Learn how to setup a non single point of failure load balancer using Windows. The entire setup takes between 30 - 90 minutes and links to ALL software is included.

Just a few features:

* The guide is 100% FREE! and all software is either open source or free excluding Windows of course.

* Non single point of failiure

* Web control interface

* Session support

* Very easy to use!

This HowTo guide tells you everything you need to know and includes additional setup types as well. (I should note that the only reason i have linked to the guide on my site is so to ensure that you get the latest version).

The load balancer in the guide "Central Director" is also compatible with linux so you may find some of the instructions somewhat useful.

http://www.cyrosystems.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2
herzeleid

Nov 20, 2007
7:25 PM EDT
Oh please, is this a bad joke? Any moderators around?

If I want windoze, I know where to find it, but certainly did *not* expect to find that crap here. Blech.
jdixon

Nov 20, 2007
7:40 PM EDT
> Oh please, is this a bad joke?

While I feel the same way, he does make the point that all of the software involved is free or open source, and most of it appears to be open source. While I think using Windows for such a purpose is silly, there are some folks who have to do so. As long as it's FOSS related, it probably has a place here.

Of course, ideally he should have submitted it to the newswire, and not posted it in the discussions. That way the editors could have made the decision properly in advance, and included the appropriate disclaimers. :)
herzeleid

Nov 20, 2007
8:00 PM EDT
I applaud your efforts to be inclusive, but IMHO this represents abuse of free software. That is, this whole weird idea of treating the free software community merely as a source of free apps for windoze, thus seating the tyrant more firmly in the saddle, helping the microsoft monopoly fend off any threat to its market share from linux or other alternative OSes.
jdixon

Nov 20, 2007
8:18 PM EDT
> ...but IMHO this represents abuse of free software.

Well, I'm willing to abide by an editor's decision on the matter. You might want to email Scott or Sander and have them take a look. Or you can just use the contact us link to drop the request in the queue for someone.

I suspect they'll agree that the correct place for this is in the newswire, if it has any place here at all.
cyrosystems

Nov 20, 2007
9:16 PM EDT
I do agree that Windows is garbage for this type of thing but im currently studying I.T. and we get asked to research this sort of thing, so i figured i may as well post it somewhere useful for others. Linux balance, HAproxy, Ultra Monkey etc... all do a much better job, but this is for the guys that wont touch linux ;)

Please feel free to move this if its in the wrong spot (or delete it).
Sander_Marechal

Nov 20, 2007
10:03 PM EDT
Quoting:As long as it's FOSS related, it probably has a place here.

Actually, no. LXer is a Linux news site, not a FOSS news site. Though we do post general non-Linux FOSS news (purely for the interest of our readers) the general standard I use is "Is it Linux related?". Which is why I usually don' post AIX/HP-UX articles for example. Or why I will post closed-source Linux news.

If the above article would be submitted to the newswire I would have rejected it. Scott may have a different opinion though.

I would probably also have deleted this thread if I had spotted it earlier, but there's some good discussions in it now. Best leave it be IMHO.

Scott_Ruecker

Nov 21, 2007
1:04 AM EDT
I will clarify Sander's statement to say that LXer is a Linux AND Open Source news site. Yes our focus is Linux but we could not possibly ignore Open Source in general and convince ourselves that we are doing a good job of informing our readers. Like the banner at the top of the page says, "Linux News, The world is talking about GNU/Linux and Free/Open Source Software."

I posted the article because it involves software on a Debian system, which is most certainly Linux and Falco Timme has never submitted spam or unrelated content to LXer, until he does he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

I have not been around for several hours and I would agree that if I had seen this thread at the start I would have moderated it but like Sander, I think this thread is now relevant.

If the consensus is that I should still delete this thread, I will.

I want say to cyrosystems, Your original post looks and sounds like an advert or spam. You make no mention of the article in your post and I am still trying to determine if it related to it in any way. Please take this into account in the future. If you want feedback on your Open Source related project, even if it is FOSS software on Windows, start a thread in our 'Linux' forum. There will be those who do not like it but if it truly is Linux or FOSS related and not an advert, it will not be moderated.

dinotrac

Nov 21, 2007
3:56 AM EDT
> IMHO this represents abuse of free software.

Huh? You cannot abuse free software except by violating the terms of its license. It's that funny little word people keep talking about -- "free".

Remember the saying? Free as in freedom (or speech if you want to be less clear), not as in beer?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 21, 2007
4:35 AM EDT
@Scott: The "above" article that I referred to that I would have rejected was aimed at the link cryosystems posted, not at the actual article that was posted by you to the newswire. Just to clarify.
jdixon

Nov 21, 2007
6:11 AM EDT
> Your original post looks and sounds like an advert or spam.

That was my original reaction also, but I followed the link to be sure before reporting the post. The linked Howto makes it clear that except for Windows and .Net, the software used is FOSS. For that reason, I decided not to bring the matter to your attention.

A lot of folks who like FOSS are stuck using Windows for business or political reasons. I honestly don't think they should be denied access to a potentially useful Howto just because it covers using FOSS tools under Windows rather than Linux.

That said, you all are the editors, not me. I have no objection to closing/removing the discussion if you think it's appropriate.

That's the type of decision you get paid the big bucks to make. :)
Sander_Marechal

Nov 21, 2007
6:54 AM EDT
Big bucks? Where? :-)
herzeleid

Nov 21, 2007
9:58 AM EDT
Quoting: dino: Huh? You cannot abuse free software except by violating the terms of its license. It's that funny little word people keep talking about -- "free".
After a good night's sleep, I'll admit my original response looks grouchy - my gut reaction after a long day. I'd have phrased it a bit more diplomatically if I had it to do over again.

But still, I wonder if you understand what I'm saying: Like many others, I found in linux and free software a ray of hope, a promise of getting out from under the crappy monopolist for good. So, to see free software turned on its head and used merely as "glue logic" to make windows work better, and to help perpetuate and extend the reach of the monopoly at our expense, seems perverse at best.
jdixon

Nov 21, 2007
10:09 AM EDT
> So, to see free software turned on its head and used merely as "glue logic" to make windows work better, and to help perpetuate and extend the reach of the monopoly at our expense, seems perverse at best.

The first half of your sentence does not necessarily correlate with the second half. :)

I understand how you feel about it, but FOSS on Windows is the only FOSS option some people have. Do you really want to deny them the use of FOSS?

Looking at it from the other side, what's the FOSS community's reaction when Microsoft uses licensing agreements to limit their software to being used under Windows? Do you really want to act like Microsoft?
dinotrac

Nov 21, 2007
11:14 AM EDT
>seems perverse at best.

Well, if that's what you meant to say, I'm hard pressed to argue. You wonder about the mindset that says "Hey, let's use all of this highly reliable and moldable free stuff to prop up a stinking pile of crap instead of simply getting rid of the stench".

Still, people gotta do what they gotta do. Who knows? The next time a security hole or other Windows problem makes life miserable, somebody will say, "You know, we've really had great luck with all this free stuff we've been using..."

That is, after all, how Linux got into a lot of shops...riding on the back of Samba.
herzeleid

Nov 21, 2007
11:25 AM EDT
> The first half of your sentence does not necessarily correlate with the second half. :)

Well I guess we'll agree to disagree agreeably - and in keeping with the holiday theme, I'm thankful that we're all allowed to think for ourselves!
jdixon

Nov 21, 2007
11:36 AM EDT
> Well I guess we'll agree to disagree agreeably...

Agreed. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!