Author Content
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2007
6:27 AM EDT
cpufreqd
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
12:13 PM EDT
This is a good point and it does help for sure with throttle control. If memory serves, powernowd and cpufreqd are conflicting options, which would mean that one has to be selected over the other? Honestly, I am unsure. I am currently using powernowd on my notebook.

Feedback is appreciated.
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2007
1:09 PM EDT
My old hand-me-down Averatec was a real waffle burner of a lap top. Did cpufreqd and now it won't even keep my hands warm. Er, it has that RT2500 WiFi.

My AcerPower 1000 (Broadcom AF1) was hotter then the hinges of Hell and the cpufreqd worked like a charm. I assumed that the WiFi cards were causing the cpu to run harder? Quien Sabe?

extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
2:07 PM EDT
Yeah, the notebook is an Averatec 3200. Definitely agree that it could be harnessed as a source of heat for anyone going cold this winter. ;)

Mine came with integrated Broadcom wireless. I have a wide array of wireless cards for my notebooks computers, ranging from rt2500 to rt61, even a couple of rt73USB options. I had rt73USB working like a champ after running a little script I cooked up.

#! /bin/sh -f echo 'blacklist rt2500usb' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Now the rt2500 PCMCIA card runs fair enough, but the rt61 card, which uses rt61PCI in Gutsy, tends to get a bit warm. I found that it dramatically reduced network drops with the use of an Argus notebook cooling pad. But to be fair, these little AMD powered notebooks get pretty hot anyway.

Will swap out powernowd for cpufreqd. Also, I think cpufreqd needed some extra modules for throttling if memory serves? Did you find it needing anything extra?
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
4:05 PM EDT
BTW, before signing off - Merry Christmas. :)

Thanks again for your thoughts.
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2007
4:08 PM EDT
cpufreqd/cpufrequtils and ya can't have one without the other. Automagic.
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
4:15 PM EDT
Sweet, will install tonight. Thanks again.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!