Here is a REAL challenge. Put up or shut up.

Story: Closed source is dead, open source is the way to innovation!Total Replies: 15
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jan 03, 2008
1:14 PM EDT
This is reposted from a comment made on linux.com about this article. If anyone wants to take up the offer, PM me though this site or send me an e-mail at sander at lxer dot com and I'll give you his e-mail address. I've added a few linebreaks to improve readability.

Quoting: hkwint is wrong on many points, including his assumptions on historical events. Live CD's not invented before Linux? Obviously he has lived a sheltered life. The Amiga could be repaired with a live floppy which you then copied directly to the hard drive. Date 1985. IBMs OS2 could be booted directly from CD to repair OS2 installations as well as Windows installations. Date 1992. Let us not forget Operating Systems like QNX as well. Are young people this ignorant of history and arrogant every generation? (rhetorical question)

First, I believe anyone who believes that software engineers and hobbyists can create tools that are innovative and fill the needs of people who are not engineers should read this recently published article in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/business/30know.html?ex=13... Linux programmers do not ask what people want or need in software. With only a few exceptions, the programmers have not considered the end users at all. These few projects have copied commercial software verbatim. FOSS programmers have few communication skills and this shows when the public volunteer to help (please see The GIMP for a perfect example).

I have a challenge for hkwint. If he truly believes that open source is as innovative, or more innovative than the commercial sector, then he should respond to my email address. i have sent it via the lxer.com webmaster. I can supply only one of my inventions. If he wants, i will sign all my rights into any licence he wants, as long as he believes there are the resources, the talent, and the interest from FOSS developers. because he believes that Linux could do hardware, I have made this a hardware product. Luckily for him, this uses off the shelf parts, and only needs a software system to control it. I will call it OSPOD. Simply, the iPod was a good match of off the shelf hardware and software, but it is stuck with where to go next.

Let me just say that Steve is no genius. I would love to see this come to market with many manufacturers making and marketing an audio device that will literally make the iPod look as old and as boring as a tape based "Ghetto Blaster". Yes, using off the shelf parts. FOSS will no longer be the realm of geek, this new music system will be chic. Of course, if hkwint or anyone else (if you want my email address, contact the webmaster above and direct him to this post... I give the webmaster at lxer.com permission to give out my email address to any individual interested in this project in the next 48 hours) wants to take me up on this, I will supply a full description of the system and drawings if needed.

My only requirements is that my name be used (will be revealed once I send information) as part of the development team, and that it be released as FOSS. If I am not contacted in the next 48 hours, I will repost here [on linux.com - Sander] and I will release the information publicly so anyone, including Apple can use it. I would not be surprised if Apple has a patent application or two ready before the weekend, and FOSS advocates will be locked out. This time, put up or shut up. As a help for linux.com users, I will contact the linux.com webmaster with my email address as well so you can ask for it there (linux.com webmaster, same applies, anyone interested, next 48 hours).
helios

Jan 03, 2008
2:24 PM EDT
I'm on this Sander...Let's get the word out.

h
tuxchick

Jan 03, 2008
2:35 PM EDT
What kind of weird strawman challenge is this? It's baloney- FOSS is Software, not hardware. What is it going to prove? Even if you make it a software project, a single project won't prove which development model is more "innovative."

Anyone who is willing to spend a little time doing some research and making comparisons will find thousands of examples where FOSS advances faster, and fosters more creativity. Exhibit A: Windows. What a steaming pile of overpriced dung. Innovative? Only in forcing people to actually pay money for it. I'd say a valid "put up or shut up" is a detailed analysis and comparison of existing software, not some insincere showboat hardware challenge.
TCO

Jan 04, 2008
4:28 AM EDT
Live CD's not invented before Linux? Obviously he has lived a sheltered life. The Amiga could be repaired with a live floppy which you then copied directly to the hard drive. Date 1985. IBMs OS2 could be booted directly from CD to repair OS2 installations as well as Windows installations. Date 1992. Let us not forget Operating Systems like QNX as well.

So you're comparing a Live CD with a boot disk? Isn't that being disingenuous. A DOS boot disk is an entire OS on a disk that runs "live". But that's really not the same.
Abe

Jan 04, 2008
6:43 AM EDT
Quoting:next 48 hours
Why limiting the challenge to 48 hours? I know news on the Internet travels fast, but I fail to understand what the reasoning behind limiting the time of this challenge. It's ridiculous.

I also fail to understand what is the challenge. What are his expectations? Just to respond in 48 hour?

I am at a loss. Hopefully Helios will let us know.

gus3

Jan 04, 2008
7:52 AM EDT
Rescue disks are not live CD's. They are not usable for everyday production (unless you're a repair tech), they include options not available for production use (such as mounting read-only or filesystem debugging), and you usually cannot use the OS on them as a boot into a usable system when the OS on the normal boot drive is damaged.

Live CD's are tools for demonstrating an OS platform. Rescue CD's are tools for repairing an OS's weaknesses. Except for the Knoppix family, there is very little overlap between these two.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 04, 2008
9:43 AM EDT
I would only disagree in that Knoppix, a full bootable OS and applications on a CD, _includes_ recovery tools.

Recovery is not its purpose.

Indeed, the impressive list of operating systems that booted from floppies/CDs prior to 1992 is nice, but not one of them came with an office suite.

I think it's a troll. Knowledgable troll, yes, but still someone challenging other people to live up to his expectations.

When no one does, he'll get to crow how wrong everyone else in the world is, and slither back into obscurity.
tuxchick

Jan 04, 2008
11:40 AM EDT
Quoting: When no one does, he'll get to crow how wrong everyone else in the world is, and slither back into obscurity.

As the official Eastern Oregon representative of the Slithering Serpentines Anti-Defamation Society, I take official umbrage at such a nasty slur. You, sir, are an asp.

I have the official Troll Liberation Front on line two. Please hold.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 04, 2008
12:33 PM EDT
> You, sir, are an asp.

I think there will be times ahead when I will consider that a complement of the highest order.

Search: John Ross Unintended Consequences
tuxchick

Jan 04, 2008
12:51 PM EDT
Hey, I suck at puns- I want points for trying!
Bob_Robertson

Jan 04, 2008
1:03 PM EDT
Nonono, it was excellent! I nearly woke my baby with my unsuppressible snickering.

Keep your powder dry.
gus3

Jan 04, 2008
10:13 PM EDT
Bob, I did make a point of naming Knoppix specifically for being both a demo CD and a rescue CD.

tc: "SSADS"?
dinotrac

Jan 05, 2008
1:26 AM EDT
>Keep your powder dry.

No.

I must insist that you wet your powder. Or, at the very least, hide your bullets.
hkwint

Jan 05, 2008
7:25 AM EDT
How long do I have before the 48 hours are over? Anyway, since the writer is equalling open source with Linux he's not that smart anyway I assume. Also, by stating "Linux programmers" don't listen to their users, he must have been exchanging the two words Microsoft and Linux by accident...
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2008
2:58 PM EDT
just contact him. Have you ever heard of calling someone's bluff.

There are two possible out comes. The blokes talking crap, or he's not.
hkwint

Jan 05, 2008
4:36 PM EDT
When I asked about the 48h I was just kidding, if you someone didn't get that.

Frankly, I don't care about it, since I don't have time to arrange others to do the software programming for this mr. anonymous; I'm not a manager telling other people which work they should do. If he needs programmers for a real innovative invention, he can find them without me, I guess.

I replied on Linux.com (I hope the output is not as crappy as it looks here), and for me, that's it. I have new articles for LXer to write!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!