Hmmm. OK.

Story: Newegg.com Consumer Report.Total Replies: 37
Author Content
dinotrac

Jan 05, 2008
5:54 AM EDT
So now Newegg has taken care of you and you are still angry?

SHEESH!

From where I sit:

1. You bought a computer from them, knowing their policies -- which are clearly stated on the site. 2. You didn't like it. 3. Were upset that they followed the policies clearly stated on the site. 4. Made some noise. 5. They made an exception for you and made things right. 6. You're still upset.

I presume that you are a whole lot younger than I am. Small advice -- going through life angry is more likely to eradicate the anger by shortening the life than provide any real contentment.
montezuma

Jan 05, 2008
6:37 AM EDT
What Dino said
rijelkentaurus

Jan 05, 2008
6:57 AM EDT
Dino is giving good advice.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2008
7:52 AM EDT
WTF?? Justin, I call baloney and libel on the entire article. Your alleged messages from Newegg's customer service don't sound genuine- they're full of the same bad grammar and syntax that you use. Give it a rest- the more you flog this issue, the loonier you sound.
pcatiprodotnet

Jan 05, 2008
8:22 AM EDT
Why link to crybaby rants?

I've used Newegg countless times over 10 years and they've always been more than reasonable, especially so when compared to their competition.
usacomputertec

Jan 05, 2008
8:44 AM EDT
tuxchick I was surprised that the spelling in the responses from newegg.com that had minor spelling errors and grammatical errors too. I think that the guy may have been from India and type the way they do. You know like those Nigerians do on Ebay. I assure you these are quoted.
hkwint

Jan 05, 2008
9:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Why are link to crybaby rants?

1) That it's posted doesn't mean LXer endorses its content, it's up to the reader to choose to read what we're linking to or not. 2) To inform our readers how NewEgg handled the issue.
zenarcher

Jan 05, 2008
10:06 AM EDT
Likewise, I've used NewEgg for several years and had nothing but positive transactions. I've never received responses with spelling and grammatical errors, either.

dinotrac has offered some excellent advice. His message comes with age and maturity. Like dinotrac, I've also learned that firsthand.

It seems to me that NewEgg did everything possible to resolve your issue with them and I seriously doubt you're going to generate any sort of boycott against their business. People who have had positive experiences with them, will continue to conduct business with them, while those who have not will shop elsewhere.
jdixon

Jan 05, 2008
10:59 AM EDT
> t seems to me that NewEgg did everything possible to resolve your issue...

As far as I can see, yes. And reaffirmed that they are a class company to deal with.

Which doesn't mean he should deal with them. He obviously finds their terms unacceptable. In which case he should deal with someone else. You can't please everyone in the world.

Oh, and as to the representative not changing their policies. He doesn't have the authority to do so. Those policies are set at a much higher level. What he does have the authority to do is make exceptions to meet customer needs. Which is what he offered to do. That's the most you can ask for from a customer representative.
usacomputertec

Jan 05, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
zenarcher. I have used Newegg.com for several years and other than UPS's bad shipping and no USPS shipping offered there service has been great most of the time. They have always helped me in the past. However you say your responses from Newegg.com have always been good. I've found over time that the responses seem automated. What I mean is that someone copys part of a response and personalizes it. It makes sense when your such a big company to do something like that.

jdixon: your right however if a company is not going to obey the law they should be held accountable to that law.
jdixon

Jan 05, 2008
2:15 PM EDT
> ...if a company is not going to obey the law they should be held accountable to that law.

Of course. But there is no evidence that NewEgg is breaking the law.

You are welcome to research that matter further and contact the relevant legal authorities if you don't agree. If NewEgg's policies are in fact illegal in their area I'm sure they'll be interested. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2008
3:53 PM EDT
And the gap between Justin and the truth yawns ever-wider.
NoDough

Jan 05, 2008
6:56 PM EDT
Justin,

I admire the energy and passion you pour into your pursuits. You'll be a very wealthy man if you don't get consumed by some #$% lawyer (sorry, Dino.)

However, I have to agree with others who have commented about your NewEgg-is-breaking-the-law approach. You should either produce the law in question, or drop it completely. To do otherwise makes one look foolish.
usacomputertec

Jan 05, 2008
8:59 PM EDT
Your Right. I will provide a link when I get time.
remi

Jan 06, 2008
4:30 AM EDT
If there's anyone to blame here, I say it's the LXer editors. Why is this post allowed, at all?

This is a childish rant. You can't please everyone. Newegg.com is pretty well known all throughout the IT community as, to put it simply: ROCKING. I've been using them for years. Everyone has. Once in awhile, they'll screw something up - it happens.

Everyone can see that this guy's upset, but ... boycott? Are you serious? Get a hold of yourself. And to complain about a company giving in to someone who's making a fuss ... that's entirely ridiculous. A company has all the right in the world to give in to those who complain loud enough. When the cost of *not* giving in to someone out-weighs the benefits, company's often agree with the person who's fussing - it's like settlements in court - it's best for everyone.

And the lack of professionalism in the letters to Newegg! Talking about sweat shops, American citizens' rights being taken away by "the Government," actually spelling it "Window$" ... for God's sake, man, get a hold of yourself!

I've been greatly enjoying most of the news that comes thru LXer, and I hope childish rants don't continue to be included among the high quality of the rest of the content that comes through here.

As a final note, all of my experiences with Newegg have been wonderful. Multiple times, they've even RMA'd things that, really, the vendor should've been responsible for. They've always gone above and beyond my expectations. Also, I find that they are *great for Linux.* The numerous reviews, and the good review system, makes it easy to discover which devices are or are not compatible with Linux. Lots of reviewers even post detailed howtos in their reviews for how to get devices working with Linux.

We get that you're upset, but please respect the LXer readers and calm down and try to make better distinctions between what is and is not news worthy. I've read the blog posts. I've read the comments here and there. There's nothing news worthy about any of it. This belongs on a personal blog, not on the front page for all to see. Yeah, I'm sure you'll rant on about free speech or something and that's wonderful ... that's not what I'm saying. You can speak freely, but are you responsible enough to be given the power to speak at a pulpit that all the world hears *without* abusing that power by announcing your *personal* troubles to the world?

"Move along, nothing to see here."
usacomputertec

Jan 06, 2008
8:18 AM EDT
lxer.com PMed me about the matter with the first post and wanted to know how it turned out.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 06, 2008
9:48 AM EDT
Please do not blame LXer if you do not like what someone else who does not directly work for LXer wrote.

If we wrote it, then blame us. Other than that, the content on the newswire is owned by the person who wrote it. Not LXer.

The grammar errors in the e-mail correspondence are not LXer's fault.

Abe

Jan 06, 2008
10:22 AM EDT
Quoting:If there's anyone to blame here, I say it's the LXer editors. Why is this post allowed, at all?

@remi, Pretty good post you have here and I agree with most of it but not the quoted statement above.

To my knowledge, LXer doesn't investigate other reports to determine for its reader whether they should or shouldn't read them. So, linking to articles that some think they should not be linked to is not there responsibility and shouldn't be held responsible for.

LXer took the responsibility of linking to articles they believe are of interest to the FOSS community and furnish forum service to its readers enabling them to voice their opinions. It is left to the readers to decide whether they agree or disagree with contents of any article. I guess that is why you and others were able to voice opinions in this thread.

In that context, I don't believe LXer is at fault at all.

OTOH, and I am NOT a LXer editor, you are right in one respect. The article should not have been allowed to appear as a LXer story and as shown below. That is just me being thankful to LXer to offer this service.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/97861/index.html

tuxchick

Jan 06, 2008
10:28 AM EDT
Don't forget that here on LXer not only can you gripe about idiotic stories that you don't like, everyone is welcome to submit good stories, and also to contribute original content. Just hit the "Post Story" link over yonder on the upper right.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 06, 2008
10:40 AM EDT
If all we did was allow articles on the newswire that we thought everyone would agree with or like, then what good would we be to anyone?

In order to think critically about something and stand a chance of coming to a accurate decision or stance on an issue or issues you have to be presented with and have access to information that you agree and disagree with.

If all you read were stories that confirmed your opinions, would you really feel LXer was informing you in any real manner? I would hope not, because I certainly would not.

If you want to wear blinders that's fine, just don't expect LXer to put them on for you.

Scott
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 06, 2008
10:57 AM EDT
I want to be clear that I am not defending Justin or how he has gone about things. I have already expressed my thoughts to him in that regard.

I am defending LXer's decision to post articles that you disagree with.

Edit:

We are an Independent Free and Open Source Software News Organization. We're no one's "yes man". Its not our job to make you feel warm and fuzzy about Linux or Free and Open Source software. Its our job to inform you of what is going on regarding it to the best of our ability.

zenarcher

Jan 07, 2008
1:12 AM EDT
I am in complete agreement with Carla and Scott.
remi

Jan 07, 2008
5:23 AM EDT
Wow, lots of feedback.

I'd just like to say, I would like to apologize to LXer for my tongue-in-cheek remark. I was not seriously trying to discredit LXer.

If anything, what I said should be taken as a compliment to LXer. I've been reading for awhile and, when I saw an article that seemed to be "below" the usual quality of content that I get thru LXer, I signed up just to comment about it.

usacomputertec can post about whatever he wants but, it seemed to me, that he was abusing his power to post to LXer to basically ... go on about a personal rant.

If we *don't* agree with LXer's decision to post articles that we disagree with, that's insanity. We all know that. It's LXer's right to post it, just as it's usacomputertec's right to write it, *just as* it's my right to sign up here and comment about it.

No offense to LXer meant. Whatsoever. It's not the easiest thing, finding good linux-specific news, and I'm happy LXer's doing what it is, aggregating great articles so that we all may enjoy them.

Once again, I'm sorry for my tongue-in-cheek remarks. You're all right in your defenses for LXer. And, usacomputertec, thanks for sharing that LXer asked you how it turned out, after the first post. It's a legitimate story ... I just, personally, feel that it's a story for your blog - not for the whole world. ( for example: Amazon was late with one of my Christmas gifts this year ... should be boycott them, too? Let me write a post and see if the New York Times will run it ... )

LXer is in *no* way at fault. Also, to usacomputertec, if you feel that this was a personal attack, it wasn't. But I do want to point out that I really don't think the quality of your Newegg article represents the true quality of *you* or of *LXer,* in general. That's why I posted.

Finally, let me reiterate to LXer and to usacomputertec - when I read the follow-up Newegg article the other day, it struck me as odd for LXer/usacomputertec content and ... as being pretty trivial and unprofessional. In comparison to your (LXer/usacomputertec) regular posts [which are great], ... it seemed like pretty lame content. Even slashdot has some pretty awful posts ... and people comment on it! So I decided to comment on it here.

No hard feelings, anyone! Thanks for rocking, LXer. And keep it up.
remi

Jan 07, 2008
5:28 AM EDT
Scott: "We are an Independent Free and Open Source Software News Organization. We're no one's "yes man". Its not our job to make you feel warm and fuzzy about Linux or Free and Open Source software. Its our job to inform you of what is going on regarding it to the best of our ability."

Good to hear it, and I wouldn't want it *any other way!*

I'm happy to see all of the people standing up for LXer. Sorry to make it seem as if I was taking a stab at LXer.
dinotrac

Jan 07, 2008
6:19 AM EDT
>I'm sorry for my tongue-in-cheek remarks.

Now I'm mad.

Lxers are not allowed to apologize for tongue-in-cheek remarks. They are encouraged mightily to make them.

You are allowed to regret any angst by those who misinterpret.

But that's it.

Got it?
remi

Jan 07, 2008
6:28 AM EDT
Now I'm *really* ashamed.

You're right! It's not same on *me* ... shame on all of *you* for missing sarcasm when it's used! And shame on all of *you* for posting to forums instead of finishing your dissertations! And shame on all of *you* for your angst, due to misinterpretations!

You all need to upgrade your forum interpreters! :P

Shame on *me* for shaming *me* in the first place, instead of shaming all of *you*!

( where's my tongue *now* bitches! :P )
dinotrac

Jan 07, 2008
6:29 AM EDT
That's better.
ColonelPanik

Jan 07, 2008
7:12 AM EDT
w00t
tuxchick

Jan 07, 2008
7:29 AM EDT
Kumbaya and barf.
usacomputertec

Jan 07, 2008
9:32 PM EDT
WOW! a lot of arguing. Hmmm. Well anyway I have been doing some research on the laws and I'm finding documentation that is for me and personal oppenions that are against me. I'll sort it all out and find out if there is any law that newegg.com is breaking. I do know that this item was on clearance and even those who oppose me say that there is a law that makes sure clearance items are of high quality and not defective. Also these clearance items can't have any problems like a newly installed Vista Home Premium installation freezing when you open IE7 or starting up with a white screen that says one word ERROR across it in big Red letters. (never seen that one myself either) I'm thinking of uploading the picture to the net. Just not sure where to upload it yet. It's not a blue screen, black screen, or red screen but a white screen of death lol.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
12:20 PM EDT
White screen of death? That's a new one....
hkwint

Jan 08, 2008
1:31 PM EDT
Quoting:White screen of death? That's a new one....

Wait till you open some kind of Windows Media format Mplayer doesn't like on Linux (downed it from Microsofts site!) - that gave me a 'pink screen of death' (kernel hung, so no screenshot sadly. Next time I'll make a photograph)
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
And the story keeps changing... from buyer's remorse, to nefarious illegal deeds, to this alleged defect, to that alleged defect, and now yet another one, and suddenly it's a clearance item...it's like a pinball game.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
1:40 PM EDT
And now we're talking about screens of death. I'm personally waiting for the rainbow screen of death that pops up in 3D!
a1b1

Jan 08, 2008
3:42 PM EDT
"I do know that this item was on clearance and even those who oppose me say that there is a law that makes sure clearance items are of high quality and not defective."

Without personally knowing the law, I'll make a guess, I suspect if "the store" has the item still in stock (able to offer a replacement), then this wouldn't apply (at least that's the way I would think it would be). If it wasn't in stock, I suppose they would have to do something else (like refund, or similar item, etc.). If it's in stock, and can be replaced, it should be no different than a non-clearance item. Just a guess, but I think that would make sense, and that's possibly what that law would resemble (but again, just a guess :-) ).

As to any other problem, you had 30 days to return it, and a warranty of some sort through the laptop manufacturer. On top of that a decent credit back for no reason (basically). You have nothing to complain about. Must not be very bad if you haven't at the very least done something with the manufacturer. And I suspect you didn't do it through newegg because you saw that cheaper/better model that you're kicking yourself for not getting.

Note to Microsoft: These guys have some good ideas, why don't you spruce up your "death" screens? Words of wisdom, poems, lotto numbers, purdy flashing colors, cute animals, hot chicks, pretty quick people will "want" to see them, and it would be one more nice feature you could advertise.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 08, 2008
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting:hot chicks

Nekkid chicks on your BSoD? People would start crashing their machines on purpose. Not that it's hard to crash a Windows machine. Just sneeze in it's general direction...
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
4:58 PM EDT
Or in Vista hold down the Super key + the e key on the keyboard for more than three seconds...........
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 08, 2008
9:05 PM EDT
remi: No apologies required but I Thank You for it just the same. I am glad that LXer is the place where you like to get the news.

Sometimes you have to give someone the attention they 'think' they want and let them face the fire, so to speak. It is my hope that usacomputertec will think harder about what it is he wants to post and do more research beforehand so he can avoid the 'constructive comments' his articles have 'required' so far.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!