but but but

Story: Caution - 180 Degree Turnaround AheadTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 07, 2008
5:02 PM EDT
Ken, their website is a collection of 404 pages, and pages that work are done in classic High-School Geek Discovers Unreadable Chrome Effects in the Gimp. So- it does not inspire confidence!
helios

Jan 07, 2008
5:13 PM EDT
try the distro. Agreed the website can and most probably will set off seizures in many people, but the distro rocks. THIS from someone who three days ago despised it long enough to dispose of it.

Some people won't like the dark and dangerous ambiance...Personally, I am quite taken with it.

edit...I just went to the ultimate site and didn't get any 404's...hmmm
techiem2

Jan 07, 2008
5:17 PM EDT
Site worked for me too a minute ago. Torrent grabbed from linuxtracker so I can take a gander at this supposedly good *buntu. Can always use another livecd/livedvd in the collection anyway. :)
tuxchick

Jan 07, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
Dark they were, and golden-eyed...
moopst

Jan 07, 2008
6:07 PM EDT
Looks cool. I think I'll try it on my laptop.

The youtube video was a bit distracting.

Edit: I can't find them on distrowatch, but it looks like they are changing their name to Ultimate Edition.
helios

Jan 08, 2008
3:03 AM EDT
OK...I've field-tested this distro for 24 hours with the "collectd" process running and just went thru the output (massive btw). Few false system calls and the hooks have been flawless. This is one guy to keep an eye on...there be Wizards in our midst.

"Stuff your eyes with wonder . . . live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."

h
kingttx

Jan 08, 2008
6:34 AM EDT
Beyond Ultimate Edition, I've never heard of collectd before. Interesting.
happyfeet

Jan 08, 2008
7:14 AM EDT
This is what I like about reading Lxer - the literary references...
tracyanne

Jan 08, 2008
12:03 PM EDT
Can't say I'm particularly impressed with it. I installed it on my spare laptop.

The laptop has an integrated Intel video card, UU offered to install proprietary drivers, it offered me Nvidia and ATI drivers.

I got a message saying I should install Flash and some codecs, I clicked the ok button it downloaded and initiated an install in a thing called gdebi but wouldn't proceed past the accept EULA, no matter how many times I typed Y ot hit the enter key.

On boot up there is no indication that the OS is booting, just a blank screen that for all intents and purposes means the machine has hung.

In short, nothing I don't expect from any other Ubuntu install.

NOTE: It does seem quite nice if you run it as a Live CD only, but that's my experience with every Ubuntu.

hkwint

Jan 08, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
Quoting:but wouldn't proceed past the accept EULA, no matter how many times I typed Y ot hit the enter key.

Probably not, but there's a tiny little chance they changed the question to make sure if you're reading, like "Don't you accept the license?" and by then clicking "Yes" you don't accept the license. However, that's not user-friendly, so you won't find it in anything buntu I guess, but I once read it exists.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 08, 2008
3:02 PM EDT
Quoting:NOTE: It does seem quite nice if you run it as a Live CD only, but that's my experience with every Ubuntu.

Finally, someone who feels like I do about the 'buntu's..good live, a pain installed.

thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
3:16 PM EDT
Understandable. I am currently running Mepis 7 myself. I have been trying to find the permanent distro for what I do online and the others as test distros throughout virtual machines. ;)
rijelkentaurus

Jan 08, 2008
3:22 PM EDT
Quoting: Finally, someone who feels like I do about the 'buntu's..good live, a pain installed.

I find them to be quite painful in both scenarios. I'll give this one a try however, just because h says it's good. I don't have high hopes.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 08, 2008
3:54 PM EDT
Hey Nixed, I have been having great luck with PCLinuxOS on my laptop.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 08, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
I am dual booting Mepis 7 and the new PCLOS MM 2008. Both are great. PCLOS is a little better, but Mepis has the Debian application pool which is rather hard to beat. Using PCLOS right now.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
5:01 PM EDT
I stopped using PCLOS after it gave me trouble on my newly acquired desktop system and even more trouble on my notebook (ethernet is correctly identified, but I can't use the driver, because it gives me an error....... *sigh*).
rijelkentaurus

Jan 08, 2008
5:43 PM EDT
Wow, I've a got a spankin' new Vostro 1700 and it kicks butt on that. What type of lappy was it?
helios

Jan 08, 2008
6:00 PM EDT
You know...I really didn't know what to expect from the 7.0 release of Mepis...but it has been a work horse for me in the past. I was extremely happy when Warren went back to the Debian structure. I too am running 7.0 on this machine and two others in our soon-to-be office location. I test tons of software and seldom remove it completely. Mepis is the only one that hasn't cratered on me somewhere under the load of all that code. I am happy with 7.0

Now, this is going on day three of the Ultimate install and the reasons I liked it before are still valid. Since I am a kde fan, I of course use kubuntu. I have written quite a bit on my disappointment with Ubuntu mounting drives correctly or mounting them at all. As is common with Linux, some people never experience some things while others are vexed by them. There were enough posts (mostly unanswered) in the forums to guess that this mounting problem was widely-experienced. The Ultimate edition seems t have fixed this as well as employing some fairly impressive python scriptage...code after my own heart.

I think the Ultimate distros have found the magik combination of aesthetics, performance and new user friendliness. I particularly like the script that opens upon boot and gets you the ati/nvidia scripts. I too have an intel chip but I didn't need any 915resolution hack or 810i driver installed. The cd and the install defaulted to my 1280x1024 preference. My only gripe isn't with the distro but with the refresh rate.

Has anyone been able to obtain a refresh rate in the nayborehood of 70-85 with a 1280x1024 resolution?

h
tracyanne

Jan 08, 2008
6:32 PM EDT
Quoting:Probably not, but there's a tiny little chance they changed the question to make sure if you're reading, like "Don't you accept the license?" and by then clicking "Yes" you don't accept the license. However, that's not user-friendly, so you won't find it in anything buntu I guess, but I once read it exists.

Don't know what you're talking about here, the bit that it won't go past for me is the "OK" on the EULA
tracyanne

Jan 08, 2008
8:39 PM EDT
Quoting:I think the Ultimate distros have found the magik combination of aesthetics, performance and new user friendliness.

I think the Ultimate Distros stink same as the non Ultimate Ubuntus.

Mind you Linux Mint (which is derived from Ubuntu) is exceptional.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 09, 2008
7:45 AM EDT
Can someone tell me what game this is:

http://ubuntusoftware.info/Ubuntu_Ultimate_1.4_Gamers/Screen...

I don't find any reference that sounds remotely similar by name.

Sander_Marechal

Jan 09, 2008
7:59 AM EDT
It could be Vega Strike. That's a 3D space shooter.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 09, 2008
8:36 AM EDT
Ah! Thank you. I had it, but had forgotten to try it out.

Debian and a 60GB disk can lead to such waste. :^)

One of my favorite games was Privateer, it looks like Vega Strike is in that pattern. Good! I also very much enjoy Vendetta Online, but I'm also a cheap bastard. I prefer to spend the money on a NetFlix subscription.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!