can not reboot : PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
moinkhan31

Jan 09, 2008
4:59 AM EDT
Hello, every one,

I tried to install redhat linux enterprise server version 4 (ES4) on the my system with the

following configuration

Pentium core 2 duo 2.66 E 6750 Intel DG33FB motherboard 160Gb Segate hard disk (SATA) 1024 mb (1GB) DDR2 TRAN RAM Lg DVD/Cd WR

BUT AM GETTING AN ERROR INDICATING THAT drivers not found

Then i used the command "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf"

it was installed sucessfully ,

but after the successful installation it shows me a message that u can reboot , i have

rebooted the machine but i still got new message , the new messages says:

uncompressing linux..ok, booting the kernel. BIOS bug no explicit IRQ entries using default mptable (talk your hw vender) PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for audit(1199830077.779:0): initialized Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting mkrootdev: label /1 not found mount: errer 2 mounting ext3 mount: error 2 mounting none switchroot: mount failed: 22 umount /initrd/dev failed: 2 kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

and it will not rebooting at all

i have selected RedHat title in GRUB Menu and added 'noacpi' and also try to acpi=off ( and

also 'noapm' in another time) at the end of kernel line and rebooted again but am still

getting the same error.

if you know about this issue please let me know

Thank you,

montezuma

Jan 09, 2008
5:23 AM EDT
Sounds like a peculiar hardware incompatibility issue which requires some further diagnosis to get to the bottom of. If you have RHEL4 why don't you contact Red Hat? Otherwise why aren't you using Centos?
theboomboomcars

Jan 09, 2008
5:55 AM EDT
If you haven't done so already, you may want to repost this on linuxquestions.org, or other similar site.

They have a much larger technical support base, as that is what the site is aimed at. You may be able to get some help with your problem here, and hopefully someone who knows Red Hat will stop by, before this gets bumped off. But with the news discussions technical support questions tend to move by fast here.

jdixon

Jan 09, 2008
6:45 AM EDT
Have you tried passing the same arguments you used for the installation? If they worked for installing the system, they may work for rebooting.
questioner

Jan 22, 2008
3:13 AM EDT
Hi,

Seems like you've flooded all linux forums with your problem ... hope you'll post your solution everywhere too ...

The problem is mentioned here: > mkrootdev: label /1 not found <

Your kernel cannot find its root partition so you will need to either pass the correct label or relabel your partition. In the grub menu, edit the line beginning with 'kernel', you must have mentioned there 'root=LABEL=/1'. Change it to 'root=LABEL=/' and try to boot with this.

I assume here your root partition is labelled '/', this may not be the case. If this fails the easiest way to find the correct label is to boot on your first RHEL4 cd with 'linux rescue', when you'll get a shell, type 'fdisk -l' to find your partitions. Then use e2label to get the partitions labels, eg if you have '/dev/sda1', run 'e2label /dev/sda1', repeat this through all partitions. Default redhat root partition label are '/' or '/1' or '/12' or '/123' etc ...

Alain TAUCH

You cannot post until you login.