accurate headlines are illegal

Story: Open Source Code Contains Security HolesTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 09, 2008
10:33 AM EDT
A more accurate headline would read "Open source closes holes faster than closed source". But I guess that's too boring.
vainrveenr

Jan 09, 2008
11:06 AM EDT
At the conclusion of the piece, Babcock writes
Quoting:Open source projects are different from commercial products in that commercial companies rarely acknowledge security defects in their code or whether they have been dealt with. "Our commercial customers wouldn't like it too much if we aired the number of defects found in their code," said Maxwell, when asked about the results from scans on 400 product lines of the firm's private customers.
An honest admission, right? And the main point of Babcock's headline 'Open Source Code Contains Security Holes' _plus_ his "honest admission" is exactly what???

If it looks like FUD, if it smells like FUD.....

hkwint

Jan 09, 2008
1:02 PM EDT
In my opinion, any statement that reads 'code contains security holes' is just as boring as stating rabbits make holes.

Quoting:If it looks like FUD, if it smells like FUD.....

Chances are it sounds, feels and tastes like FUD too.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 09, 2008
2:06 PM EDT
I knew that before I posted it. Just take a look at the editorial byline from the article I posted (intentionally) right after this one: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/98022/index.html

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!