Hmm.....

Story: A Solution to Ubuntu's Marketing ProblemTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
thenixedreport

Jan 14, 2008
12:45 AM EDT
Haven't read the article, but..... I would like to ask everyday users what they would like in an operating system and in their applications...
dinotrac

Jan 14, 2008
1:56 AM EDT
It's a good thing to do if you can ask in an egoless way -- you're bound to hear things you think are stupid or don't remotely comport with your notion of what is important -- without being a dishrag.

Developers really do know a lot more about software than most users do. Probably have a fair idea about some of the human factors, too.

But...

While the customer may not always be right, they're right enough often enough to be worth listening to.
montezuma

Jan 14, 2008
5:17 AM EDT
Having used Ubuntu since the start I personally think this blog is off target. Most new users are aware of all the cool features at least from what I see on the forums.

What Ubuntu really needs is user driven quality control. There is nothing worse than hearing a bunch of hype, installing Ubuntu and finding a bunch of niggling bugs: My printer doesn't work; my video resolution is suboptimal; wpa wireless doesn't work; my photo software crashes when resizing a photo etc etc etc. These frustrations drive users back to Windows or Mac.
InTheLoop

Jan 14, 2008
11:57 AM EDT
"Having used Ubuntu since the start I personally think this blog is off target. Most new users are aware of all the cool features at least from what I see on the forums."

I agree that most new Ubuntu users know what the features are, but the purpose of having better marketing is to attract more new users. Right now, the majority of new users are geeks who understand what GNOME is (just an example). If Ubuntu wants to attract non-geeks, though, they have to talk about the cool features that GNOME brings, not just that it exists.
tuxchick

Jan 14, 2008
12:11 PM EDT
More than anything else, Canonical is marketing 'join our big happy family'.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 14, 2008
3:44 PM EDT
Quoting: More than anything else, Canonical is marketing 'join our big happy family'.

Sounds like Mac....
Sander_Marechal

Jan 14, 2008
3:53 PM EDT
Whatever you don't like about MAC, you have to admit that their marketing is absolutely brilliant on every level.
thenixedreport

Jan 14, 2008
6:47 PM EDT
What does a Mac include that will have customers buying it in the first place? In other words, do we understand the needs of the customer? I believe helios asked about this in one of his blog posts.....
jezuch

Jan 15, 2008
4:52 AM EDT
Quoting:What does a Mac include that will have customers buying it in the first place?

Snob magnet, I suppose?

Quoting:In other words, do we understand the needs of the customer?

Yeah, "prestige" is an important factor...
dinotrac

Jan 15, 2008
6:17 AM EDT
jezuch -

Thanks for making my point better than I could have done.

Now...

Perhaps you would like to go find out what it is about Macs that people actually like...
techiem2

Jan 15, 2008
8:49 AM EDT
Satus? Looks? *shrug*

One of my friends recently got himself a macbook to try as his newest linux laptop (he kills em quickly) You can see his thoughts on the machine and his adventure setting up Ubuntu (yeah yeah...don't know why he uses it...) on it at http://4096k.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Main/MacBookAndUbunt...

Some interesting information overall for linux users. As to normal folks...maybe they're tired of windows crashing and don't know about linux so they go Mac?
dinotrac

Jan 15, 2008
8:58 AM EDT
>As to normal folks...maybe they're tired of windows crashing and don't know about linux so they go Mac?

Got all those cute ads, after all. Plus, Mac has been in use for a long time. Anybody who knows musicians or graphics artists probably knows a Mac user or two.

Mac probably remains a better choice for people who don't care to know so much about their computers -- just use 'em.

Think of it as paying a bit of a premium (though, with Microsoft prices these days, don't know how big that premium is) for a Windows that works the way Microsoft would have you believe it works and relatively free of stability and security issues.
tuxchick

Jan 15, 2008
9:05 AM EDT
For a lot of people, style, looks, and image matter more than functionality. (Think about it- this is what drives most marketing and sales.) Macs drive me crazy. You can do a few things easily, but when you try to go beyond the easy surface stuff it's a big fat pain. They also do the crapware/adware/crippleware dance almost as annoyingly as Microsoft. One example is the much-vaunted iPhoto. Sure it's nice, until you want to create calendars or greeting cards- then it won't unless you pay money to some online service. Scroom, I'll stick with Linux.

Another problem is they refuse responsibility for defects as vigorously as any used-car salesman. For one example, their LCD screens are notorious for dying pixels. Apple will fix them for up to three years after purchase, but they won't admit there is a serious manufacturing defect, or even consider a recall. This tells more: http://www.appledefects.com/?p=138

What I want in computer software? First make it work right, then apply polish. Don't start with polish. Then turn off the computer once in awhile and go out into real life. You can't design good software if you never unglue your nose from the computer screen.
tuxchick

Jan 15, 2008
9:24 AM EDT
I'm forgetting my manners- thanks for asking, and thanks to all the FOSS developers who have given us tons of great software.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 15, 2008
12:32 PM EDT
I don't think Ubuntu has a "marketing problem." Look at how far it has come -- and how quickly. All they have to do is keep doing deals like they did with Dell ... and really hammering on the technical aspects of hardware recognition and installation.

The easier they can make it for users to get their wireless networks, printers, digital cameras, music players and other junk working, the better Ubuntu will do.

How much of this work is happening at the kernel level, and how much at the distro-assembly stage is a mystery to me.

I've had my share of trouble with wireless in Windows, but Linux has to be better -- and vendors need to start stepping up and supplying their own Linux drivers (preferably open source, but anything is better than nothing).

If Canonical can somehow "explain" what FOSS is all about to the masses who are currently either stealing software or paying through the nose for it, that will be the proverbial rising tide that lifts all boats.

My question: What's in it for them? Is Canonical somehow making money from all of this?
tracyanne

Jan 16, 2008
3:16 AM EDT
Quoting: Perhaps you would like to go find out what it is about Macs that people actually like...

I will, I be back with a collation of responses.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!