A plea to the desktop environments

Story: Autofs and sshfs - the perfect coupleTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
jezuch

Jan 16, 2008
3:48 PM EDT
I really really really really really wish the DE's, or distros, would adopt this approach. Sshfs (and others) over FUSE absolutely obsoletes GNOME VFS, KDE kio-slaves and other non-standard reinvent-the-wheel-again things...
Bob_Robertson

Jan 17, 2008
6:32 AM EDT
I rather like the kio-slave "fish", which treats a remote ssh account just like a local file system. And its been working seamlessly for years.

So who's reinventing?

Now don't get me wrong, this is an excellent answer, but I prefer a bit more flexibility. In an office or other static environment, sure.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 17, 2008
2:13 PM EDT
Quoting:I rather like the kio-slave "fish"

You can't use "fish" everywhere. Only in KDE applications that use KIO slaves. sshfs+autofs can be used anywhere, even the shell. It's desktop agnostic.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 17, 2008
4:34 PM EDT
> It's desktop agnostic.

So why the plea to the "desktop environments"?

Simplify with an unaffiliated configuration utility to handle the mount point(s) and remote host(s) and the "desktop environments" will deal with it because it occurs below their perview.

The challenge isn't to the "desktop environments", it's to the distributions or just a little project.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 17, 2008
9:26 PM EDT
Quoting:The challenge isn't to the "desktop environments", it's to the distributions

It is. I think jezuch wasn't quite sure at what level this operated.
jezuch

Jan 18, 2008
6:03 AM EDT
I'm not forcing anyone to do as I say, but I see it at the DE level ;)
Bob_Robertson

Jan 18, 2008
7:03 AM EDT
There's nothing to stop a KDE based configuration, keeping passwords in Kwallet, establishing mount points, etc. But just as there is a LILO configuration tool under KDE and no one defines LILO as being at the desktop level, there is no reason to wed such a tool to the desktop. In fact, there is no reason a "desktop" need be installed at all.

jezuch

Jan 18, 2008
3:21 PM EDT
Absolutely. But I think we're talking about different things :) I'm talking only about the "last mile" - the common base is there and is working great. I'm a console wizard, so I don't really care, but... ;)
Bob_Robertson

Jan 18, 2008
4:28 PM EDT
> I'm a console wizard...

Voice of Doc Hudson from "Cars": Oh ho ho! A race car, huh?
gus3

Jan 18, 2008
9:15 PM EDT
"Ever since I was a young boy, I typed on the silver screen, Watching every dial-out, being 8-bit clean..."

Isn't that the song "Console Wizard" from "Tommy"?
jezuch

Jan 19, 2008
3:29 PM EDT
Quoting:Voice of Doc Hudson from "Cars": Oh ho ho! A race car, huh?

Quoting:"Ever since I was a young boy, I typed on the silver screen, Watching every dial-out, being 8-bit clean..."

Err, well, maybe I'm not *that* wizardly ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!