open letter to people who write open letters

Story: An Open letter to Mark ShuttleworthTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2008
9:20 PM EDT
Dear open letter writer,

Don't write open letters. Send your communiques directly to the person you're talking to. Open letters are silly.

love, me
thenixedreport

Jan 17, 2008
9:58 PM EDT
Dear responder to the open letter writer,

Sometimes, the intended recipient doesn't get back to you or access to them is cut off. From someone who has written open letters in the past, get real.

Sincerely, Myself
gus3

Jan 17, 2008
10:42 PM EDT
Dear anti-open-letter stalwarts,

Sometimes, many voices united is the only way to get results. Indeed, history records that at least one nation was founded by such an open letter to the world. "We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately."

With all due respect, and then some, I
dinotrac

Jan 18, 2008
2:07 AM EDT
TC -

Don't you know that taking some rant/post/exposition of extreme and valuable wisdom that would be completely ignored by the bigwig you would like to strangle/hug/watch the Weather Channel with because that person doesn't know you from a hole in the wall -- seriously, would think you were a hole in the wall if they saw you walking down the street -- and prefacing it with "Open letter to" guarantees immediate attention?

You are so naive.
ComputerBob

Jan 18, 2008
5:35 AM EDT
An open source letter might have gotten more attention from the intended recipient.
jezuch

Jan 18, 2008
6:13 AM EDT
It might get even more attention if it wasn't in such a silly cause. And to a correct recipient.
theboomboomcars

Jan 18, 2008
7:17 AM EDT
It seems to me that KUbuntu is still retaining Ubuntu in it. It just has the K at the beginning of the word to signify that it has the K desktop instead of Gnome, same with the others, XUbuntu, EdUbuntu, the are all Ubuntu's. If he really want to call his Kubuntu, Ubuntu KDE edition, he can and everyone will know what he is talking about.

I could see his point if Kubuntu was called koral, or something, and Xubuntu was called Xylophone. Perhaps we should call regular Ubuntu Gubuntu, so it fits with the trend and Ubuntu Server edition Subuntu.
montezuma

Jan 18, 2008
7:34 AM EDT
I don't like the similarity of his suggested names to those used by Vista. Aping?
gus3

Jan 18, 2008
8:21 AM EDT
boomboom,

"Sue-buntu"?

Good way to scare away the prospective Linux converts.
tuxtom

Jan 18, 2008
8:46 AM EDT
Ubuntu - Open Letter Writing Imbecile Edition

Shuttleworth is not even responsible for most (all?) of the offshoots. He has absolutely no control over how they're branded. They can call themselves whatever the heck they want. Can you spell Mint? How about Dumbuntu?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!