"can compete with Windows and Mac"

Story: PackageKitTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
questioner

Jan 19, 2008
12:09 AM EDT
"can compete with Windows and Mac"

Is this a joke? Windows and Mac OS don't have packet management at all. Software installation has always been one point where Linux clearly exceeded Windows and Mac.
ColonelPanik

Jan 19, 2008
2:20 PM EDT
Does NOT compete with winders or maC. Different leagues. Linux is professional and the other two are wannabes
moopst

Jan 19, 2008
5:10 PM EDT
I had to sit down with a .net developer at work and watch him click on the OK button about 10,000 times doing an uninstall / install of a newer version of professionally written closed source software. That was followed by monkeying with the Registry by deleting some entries and renaming others. That's an hour of my life I'd like back please.
tracyanne

Jan 19, 2008
9:14 PM EDT
Quoting:I had to sit down with a .net developer at work and watch him click on the OK button about 10,000 times doing an uninstall / install

I'd forgotten just how much work is involved in uninstalling software on Windows, untill I had to do it at work the other day. Linux is essentially a one click process.
hkwint

Jan 20, 2008
2:07 PM EDT
[quoteand watch him click on the OK button about 10,000 times doing an uninstall / install[/quote]

At least that process is equal for any Windows. If you can install on Win98, you can do it on XP too, probably.

However, this author claims one that can install software on Red Hat can't do it on Gentoo or Debian. Sadly, as far as the CLI is concerned, I have to agree a bit, as a Gentoo user I find it a tiny bit hard to install new software on Debian or RedHat using RPM or APT-GET. 'man' does the job, along with 'alias emerge=apt-get install'.

When it comes to the new software installation GUI's: It may be indeed good if those of different distro's were more alike, so in contrary to popular LXer-reader belief I agree to the author; but not without the following remark:

Every _single_ Linux package manager I came across on itself is better than any of Win (can't say about Mac, not used it);

When it comes to 'homogeneity' of different installers of different Windows versions or different Linux distro's or versions however, sure, the 'joined' Linux-installers indeed have to be more alike before they can compete with the homogeneity of the Windows installers.

In other words, that would be: "X equally bad things are more homogeneous than Y unequal good things, and the Y unequal good things need to become more homogeneous before they can compete with the homogenity of the X equally bad things."

The right argument would be: Would it be good to make those Y unequal good things more alike? For those using different Linux distributions I'd say yes, it would be good. For those sticking with a single distro, I'd say: No, because they have to learn / become familiar with a 'new GUI'.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!