he forgot #11

Story: The bug reporting culture: 10 things to avoid, 10 things you can doTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2008
8:17 AM EDT
Don't waste your time submitting bug reports to an overly-bureacratic, do-nothing project that invests more energy into finding excuses to not fix bugs than to actually fix anything.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 21, 2008
10:45 AM EDT
The Debian Lenny bug annoying me now is the one where Nautilus crashes when you try to get the properties of a file. The bug-reporting tool comes on, but I can barely understand the process. All I know is that the bug has been reported hundreds of times but still isn't fixed. I understand that this is Testing and not Stable, but the whole "Debian unstable is more stable than Ubuntu ... and testing is way more stable" kind of thing falls apart.

I have a pretty good feeling that this bug will be fixed before Lenny becomes stable. but I can load up Ubuntu 7.10 and get the properties of a file without Nautilus crashing ...

I guess this is why there is Debian Stable -- for the complainers like me.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 21, 2008
10:45 AM EDT
Nonono, "testing" is _not_ "way more stable". Testing, until the push for release, may not get bugs fixed _at all_.

Unstable is where the fixes are tested, stable is where things are determed to be working.

Testing is a nebulous, confused middleground, to be used only if you want to work on someone else's schedule.
jdixon

Jan 21, 2008
10:50 AM EDT
> Generally speaking it’s always nice if you can dedicate a few dozen minutes (around an hour I would say)...

You want me to spend an hour of my time studying the bug reporting of a distribution which has paid developers on staff?

Fine. That'll be $30 please. Oh, you're not willing to pay me to do your job. Then do it yourself.

Most of the detailed suggestions also seem to involve me doing the work paid developers should be doing. Do I detect a pattern here.

Then there's #9. Use IRC. I don't use IRC. I don't use any type of chat system. I've tried numerous times in the past. Chat systems and I don't get along. I far prefer email and/or forum posts.

I've reported something like 4 or 5 bugs over the past 13+ years I've been using Linux. I've also forwarded a couple onto a developer that were reported by others. I've never had to spend an hour of my time before doing so or go through anything like the steps he proposes. Yes, I check the documentation first. Yes, I use Google to see if any one else has reported/fixed the problem. Yes, I check the relevant archived mailing lists/wiki. Yes, I try to submit a detailed description of the problem. Anything beyond that is asking too much.

Needless to say, I agree with TC.
bigg

Jan 21, 2008
10:58 AM EDT
> Nautilus crashes when you try to get the properties of a file

Well, I could list a lot of problems with Debian Lenny, which is why I am moving away from it, but I still use it on two computers. Oddly enough, this bug was fixed by a recent update on one of the computers but not the other. Evidently you got the bad update rather than the good update.
montezuma

Jan 21, 2008
1:46 PM EDT
Could be condensed from this pompous epistle to one simple rule:

1) Use some pretty obvious common sense.

I've reported maybe 30 Ubuntu bugs and had 25 fixed by following this simple recipe.
gus3

Jan 21, 2008
9:23 PM EDT
montezuma:

Quoting:1) Use some pretty obvious common sense.
On whose part?
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2008
5:05 AM EDT
I don't mind the part about spending some time to make a correct bug report, and to collect relevant information. After all, I'm getting gigabytes of great software for free. I just don't see the point in wasting the effort on, oh say, something like Ubuntu. The article is a response to another blog complaining about their endless energy for excuses and process, but rarely ever actually fixing anything.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!