My Eee

Story: Asus Eee PC Product DiaryTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jacog

Feb 20, 2008
11:26 PM EDT
Just wanted to mention that we just got a Eee a few weeks ago through a grey importer - about a week before Asus actually announced that they will actually be importing the thing here.... grrrr.

Anyway... it's mainly for my wife to use while she is on the move, but I get to tinker too. It's a very impressive little machine. It gets a lot of "ooooh" and "aaaah" around the office, and it really works well.

We're still running the stock Xandros, which (if you ignore the Faustian aspects) is just fine for the moment, and I rather like the Asus Launcher app with the ginormous icons. Seems like the perfect interface for something this small.

My only big complaint, and the thing that might make me switch to another distro, is that there have been hardly any software updates. And nothing else that can be installed from the repositories really, besides a few arbitrary items. It seems like something like this should be constantly improving and its users fed with new apps, but it just isn't. It's easy enough to install stuff ourselves using the command line, but this product is not intended for geeks and I want to experience it as if I were the target market. It's the "ready for the desktop" test.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 21, 2008
12:38 AM EDT
I am getting a loaner Eee PC for the coming weekend. Much easier to carry around on FOSDEM than my 15.4" notebook. I only played briefly with it before so I'm curious how it'll hold up.
jacog

Feb 21, 2008
2:16 AM EDT
As a personal computer it is perfectly adequate - you won't have technical issues with it. The only thing I imagine you will need to force yourself to get used to is the small keyboard size.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!