Flash a resource hog?

Story: Debian dumps Flash ... and why you might want to try Debian and SlackwareTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
golem

Feb 24, 2008
12:01 PM EDT
For me a Flash movie is a great saving in resources compared to a straight .avi file, and it's the only format I can use for some purposes. I'd really hate not being able to play those.
hkwint

Feb 24, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
But you can still use it on Debian by means of using 'one more' non-free repository, not?
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 24, 2008
4:09 PM EDT
Like I say in the review, I've never been able to install Flash from the repositories and actually have it work. I always have to get it through Iceweasel. In PCLinuxOS, it worked the way it is supposed to -- from the repository and not through Firefox.

I don't know if Gnash has made it to Debian yet -- or Ubuntu for that matter -- but I'd sure like to try it.
thenixedreport

Feb 24, 2008
8:38 PM EDT
Gnash has a long way to go. It doesn't render everything perfectly, and even YouTube videos can be problematic.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 24, 2008
9:51 PM EDT
Quoting:But you can still use it on Debian by means of using 'one more' non-free repository, not?

Actually, flash is in contrib, not in non-free. The reason for dropping flash I think is that Debian has a policy not to put new versions in the stable distribution. Since they can't get anymore support for the flash version shipping with stable, they had to drop it. Newer versions of flash can be found in backports.org where you can find all kinds of newer software for Debian stable.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 24, 2008
10:54 PM EDT
Ah, here's the Debian bug that explains why flash is moved to backports.org: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=457291
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 25, 2008
1:19 PM EDT
Everyone should follow the link in Sander's message above -- the discussion therein is quite interesting.
tuxchick

Feb 25, 2008
2:31 PM EDT
It's a shame that poor little ole Adobe Corp. can't afford to maintain it properly. I understand it's a task of enormous magnitude and global consequences. Oh, and we're getting 64-bit Flash....when?
jezuch

Feb 25, 2008
3:05 PM EDT
I have a swfdec-based player installed. I'm trying not to use it (because of a chronic dislike of Flash) but it does play YouTube videos. Last checked: today. So: so long, proprietary crud!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!