Entire town?

Story: LINdependence 2008Total Replies: 2
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Feb 25, 2008
6:08 AM EDT
The Colonel salutes these guys! Now is the time, California is the place. This is what you call gorilla marketing. You show up with a bunch of gorillas and show the people what to do. Or else. Read the article, open your credit cards.
lcafiero

Feb 25, 2008
7:03 AM EDT
< salute > Thank you, Colonel < /salute >

I don't think we need the gorillas, though, but it would be a nice touch :-)

Without being overly dramatic, I think that Felton can be the Lexington and Concord of the digital freedom revolution -- those of you who miss the reference should have stayed awake in American History class (and for those outside the U.S., Lexington and Concord is where the American Revolution started in the 18th century). Someone in another forum said that a post describing this project overstated its importance. While only time will tell, I wouldn't be involved in this project if I didn't think it would make a difference.

One thing I want to emphasize -- at the end of the LINdependence 2008 article, it mentions a boxing reference and alludes to how distros who participate should "fight fair," but it glances over an issue that I think deserves special emphasis.

That issue is freedom of choice in the digital realm.

We could have made this project distro specific under the sponsorship of one of the larger "corporate" distros -- and we had one interested -- but in doing that, the project wouldn't emphasize the concept of digital freedom that we wanted to get across to people, locally and elsewhere. So while we invited their participation in the project, we declined their sponsorship under their conditions.

We want to involve all distros -- all those that are willing to participate, that is -- and Free Software/Open Source Software programs that are a part of the FOSS movement. The point here -- just to be clear (and I know Helios is with me on this one) -- is that while we welcome any differences people have about their "distro of choice," promoting the concept of digital choice eclipses promoting personal favorites.

Truth in advertising: I don't have all the answers -- if I did, I wouldn't be asking you for your ideas and input to make this work. You can put them here or write to me at lcafiero@fixedbylinux.com.

If you're still awake at this point, thanks for reading this far.

Larry Cafiero

tuxtom

Feb 25, 2008
10:16 AM EDT
Quoting:gorilla marketing...You show up with a bunch of gorillas and show the people what to do.
Brilliant, using gorillas as guerillas. It could get out of hand, though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!