How much Mono is in Gnome?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2008
2:39 PM EDT
GreyGeek over at BrandX wrote an excellent post on how much Mono is in Gnome, and how to test your own system. Use this incantation:

Quoting: ...here is a script you can use to test your version of GNOME:

grep-available -F Depends -ri ‘.*libmono.*’ -nds Package | awk ‘{l1=$0;getline;l2=$0;getline; print l1,” - “, l2}’ | sort

It requires that dctrl_tools be installed.

Full post here: http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-03-07-01...
Sander_Marechal

Mar 09, 2008
4:37 PM EDT
I call bollocks. I have a totally functioning Gnome desktop and no Mono. As to his list, look up the packages.and remove anything that depends on mono for mono's sake (all the mono libraries, bindings, IDE's, etcetera) and you end up with a shortlist of ~10 applications, none of which are core Gnome (e.g. Banshee and Tomboy).

Edit: The bollocks is aimed at that article, not Tuxchick. Specifically this sentence:

Quoting:See what is left of your GNOME distro if you remove mono-common and a few other critical mono libraries from it and see how much functionality is left, or if it will even run.

# apt-get remove mono mono-common Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree... Done Package mono is not installed, so not removed Package mono-common is not installed, so not removed 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Ho hum.
bigg

Mar 09, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
> I have a totally functioning Gnome desktop and no Mono.

Yes. I've posted here before that on my distro a Gnome installation means you have one application that requires mono, and that's Tomboy, which is hardly critical. The same is true of Fedora.

This is a criticism of Ubuntu, not Gnome, but Gnome is probably an easier target.

Since you can have Gnome and not mono, I'd have to say the answer is zero. All of these articles are like complaints of how much proprietary software is in KDE because the users of KDE choose to install proprietary software and then run it in a KDE environment.
tracyanne

Mar 09, 2008
6:25 PM EDT
I have a KDE desktop, with the addition of Evolution, and i couldn't give a rats if it requires Mono. I'll probably be testing Moonlight as soon as it's available, because on thing is certain I won't make any friends among my potential customers if they can't access the same media as everyone else.
tuxchick

Mar 09, 2008
6:41 PM EDT
Good points, all. What I like the most is the regexp makes it easy to see for yourself. Saves a lot of pointless arguing. Well, maybe not, but there it is :)

You cannot post until you login.