computers aren't magic

Story: Back up Linux with easeTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 10, 2008
8:43 AM EDT
Yeah, we all want kindly, benevolent, telepathic computers that just do what we want them to, without having to lift a finger our own selves. Perhaps a bit of perspective would help- remember the olden days of typewriters, handwritten documents, and filing cabinets? How did you handle your paper files? How do you manage them now? Poorly, I'll wager, all stuffed into random piles and boxes. At least with computers all you need is a modicum of organization, like a directory named importantStuff. Back it up and you're done.

Sure, there's the tedium of saving documents to it, and weeding out the ones you don't need to keep anymore. Estoy apesadumbrado, yo lloro para usted.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 10, 2008
8:47 AM EDT
Quoting:computers aren't magic

Yes they are :-) My paper administration is a total mess. Just like you described. But my computer backups happen automagically and I don't need to lift a finger at all. Not even to press the "backup" button: http://www.jejik.com/articles/2006/07/easy_local_and_remote_...
gus3

Mar 10, 2008
8:58 AM EDT
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
tuxchick

Mar 10, 2008
10:45 AM EDT
Actually I like that digital files are so fragile. Then future snoops won't be able to dig up so much personal stuff about me. Of course they'll have classy-sounding titles like Historian and Archeologist, but really they're just gossips with degrees :)
phsolide

Mar 10, 2008
10:56 AM EDT
Eternal sloppiness is the price of freedom.
ColonelPanik

Mar 10, 2008
10:56 AM EDT
When it works, its magic. When it doesn't work, its the Colonel.
tuxtom

Mar 10, 2008
12:06 PM EDT
Quoting:When it doesn't work, its the Colonel.
So, you are the "they" that I frequently refer to with expletives?
ColonelPanik

Mar 10, 2008
12:56 PM EDT
Aye lad!
tuxtom

Mar 10, 2008
1:05 PM EDT
Get back to codin' before you revert to Swab.
ColonelPanik

Mar 10, 2008
1:25 PM EDT
Coding? You jest! TT if you knew how limited I am with Linux you would be amazed that I can even post on LXe..........
tuxtom

Mar 10, 2008
1:48 PM EDT
I believe you, Swab. I know quite a bit about *nix yet I will forever will see myself as a noob. Like sailing, I view *nix as a lifelong endeavor with new milestones presenting themselves each passing year. Both are intensely rewarding personal endeavors.
alc

Mar 10, 2008
2:26 PM EDT
'I will forever will see myself as a noob. Like sailing, I view *nix as a lifelong endeavor with new milestones presenting themselves each passing year. Both are intensely rewarding personal endeavors."

Well said.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!