3ware card and relationship to partition tables.

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
judgeschmales

Mar 12, 2008
12:46 AM EDT
I recently had both units that made up a software mirror drop out of a 3ware card inexplicably and now only exist as available drives.

I'd like to recover the data on either of the drives, but to access them through the card I'd have to re-create them as singles before I could mount either one of them to copy data off. I've searched all over to understand where 3ware stores it's 'unit' information to no avail. Does it hide the idea of partition tables from the kernel via it's own bios?

Does anybody know of a way through tw_cli to not create a unit but allow the kernel to register say /dev/sdc and let me print out it's partition table, then mount the drive directly?

To be clear: u2 /dev/sdc, u3 /dev/sdd - contained one partition each and were members of /dev/md2 u2 and u3 no longer exist for some reason

I would like to recover them as units without recreating them, where is that stored? ..but I'd settle for /dev/sd{c,d}1 to be available for mounting.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 12, 2008
1:48 AM EDT
Quoting:Does it hide the idea of partition tables from the kernel via it's own bios?

Hardware RAID exists below the partition level. 3ware shouldn't care about partitions at all

Quoting:Does anybody know of a way through tw_cli to not create a unit but allow the kernel to register say /dev/sdc and let me print out it's partition table, then mount the drive directly?

The only way I know is to configure them as single or JBOD. But I have no idea if doing that will leave your data intact.

I recommend trying to use/mount one of the drives outside of the RAID card. I.e. unplug them from the RAID card and hook them up to a sata connection on the motherboard directly, bypassing the 3ware RAID card. See if you can mount it now and save your data now. Just try it with one drive though, so in case it fails horribly you could attempt something different with the other card.

PS: Have you contacted 3ware support through their website? I found them quite helpful, though a tad slow to respond.

You cannot post until you login.